Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Sunday, March 1, 2009

House Salad

.

The other day when I posted the recipe for crab cakes, I mentioned that the recipe was from our favorite (former) restaurant, the Fish Market. Another favorite dish on the menu was their house salad. It's a sweet salty, crisp, crunchy combination and I could eat it every night. I don't however, saving it for special occasions. I have altered the recipe so that the quantities are in standard household measurements. I substituted 3 diced Roma tomatoes for the grape tomatoes because a pint of grape tomatoes was $4. You can use about 3/4 cup grape tomatoes if you'd rather.



House Salad

2 cups packed baby Romaine or torn red leaf lettuce
2 cups packed iceberg lettuce, chopped in bite-size square pieces
1/2 c. chopped dates
3/4 c. cucumber pieces (diced bitesize)
3 Roma tomatoes diced
½ cup carrots, grated
1/4 toasted pine nuts

Dressing
1 ½ t. minced garlic
½ t. kosher salt
2 ¾ T. sugar
1 ½ T. spicy golden mustard
3 T. sherry vinegar*
1/3 c. corn oil
1/8 t. black pepper
1 1/8 t. shallots, minced
1 1/8 t. poppy seeds

Mix all ingredients in a jar.
Shake for a minute to completely blend.

Combine salad ingredients and chill until ready to serve.
At serving time, drizzle with dressing and toss.


* I used white balsamic vinegar because I couldn't find sherry vinegar.

.

No comments: