Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Saturday, December 6, 2008

Recipe Review: Rye Bread


.
I love rye bread. I have buttered rye toast almost everyday for breakfast. Pretty boring, huh? Peach does, too -- like mother, like daughter.

So, when I bought a box of organic rye flour a few weeks ago, I really wanted to find a good reliable rye bread recipe. On Thursday, I made a batch of this recipe that I found at allrecipes.com. Good stuff. I halved the recipe because, one, I wasn't sure I would like it and didn't want to waste ingredients, and, two, we can only eat so much bread before it goes stale.

I made the bread in rounds -- I like rounds for dinner, but they have their drawbacks when toasting. It had a really good texture, firm, but not dry. Flavorful, but not too sweet. The rye flavor was not quite as strong as I like it -- maybe more caraway next time, and I may play around with the rye to white ratio. I'm going to try it again this week.

.

No comments: