Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Over the River and Through the Woods...

.

I always think of this song about now -- just as we start to plan for the big feasting day that Thanksgiving is. Yesterday I cleaned my oven (well, it actually cleaned itself, but I had to clean up after it) and it's all sparkling clean now. Maybe not sparkling, but it's very clean.

Last night I bought a 20-pound tom turkey and he's in my fridge downstairs thawing.

The children are starting to ask, "Will we have...?" about all of their favorite Thanksgiving dishes.

I even texted with my college son the other day about about whether a rosemary butter turkey sounded delish. He said it did indeed.

My children love Thanksgiving almost more than any other holiday. In some ways more. Thanksgiving is a holiday without expectations, except for a yummy dinner, of course. On Thanksgiving you won't be disappointed by the gift you didn't get — it's just all fun. And somehow you don't get that letdown when it's over. We'll have sixteen for dinner and they'll be sixteen of some of their favorite people. There will be a great dinner with their favorite foods and loads of dessert.

And now that Over the River and Through the Woods is stuck in my head (and maybe yours now too) I'll start planning my menu. How 'bout you?



.

1 comment:

Abby said...

I wish I had a self-cleaning oven!

I'm sure your dinner will be full of good food and love. You seem to have such a wonderful family!