Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Spiced Cider


.
You know it's autumn when you see apple cider in the grocery store. I love cider, but not cold from the refrigerator. I like it warmed, and spicy. But, I'm the only one in my house who likes hot cider, so it would be a huge waste to mull a big gallon. Instead I heat it and spice it by the cup. If you're a traditionalist with your spiced cider, you will be appalled at how I make mine, but it works for me. A couple years ago I bought some mulling spice at a Tastefully Simple party and enjoyed it to the very last teaspoon. When I bought my first gallon of cider this year I wasn't certain I could find the mulling spice, so I manufactured my own. Pretty easy stuff. Just add a heaping teaspoon to your cup o' cider and heat in the microwave or in a saucepan until hot enough for you. If you don't like it so tangy (no pun intended) substitute 1/2 cup white sugar for the 1/2 cup Tang.


Muffin recipe found here.


Instant Mulling Spice

1/2 c. granulate sugar
1/2 c. Tang orange-flavored powdered drink mix
2 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. cloves

Mix and store in an airtight container.
Add a heaping teaspoon to your cup of cider and heat.


.

1 comment:

Anne said...

Oh this is something I will certainly have to try this season! It sounds so fall-y; I can't wait to try it!! Thanks.