Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Friday, June 27, 2008

What's in the freezer?

.
Well, by now I'm sure you know that I am consumed with filling my freezer for my upcoming surgery and recovery. Today is an update on what's in there so far. I'm not as far along as I had hoped, but the good news is, at my doctor's appointment yesterday, I learned that my recovery will likely be shorter than the five weeks I was afraid of. I'm sure I won't be cooking big meals at the two-week marker, but I might be able to handle a few simple dishes.

So far I have:
Red Beans and rice (my research revealed that the best way to freeze rice is to cook it, place it in a freezer bag in a thin layer, and freeze; reheat in the microwave after thawing)

Baked Steak, mashed potatoes, steamed carrots

Melt in your mouth Braised and Barbecued Chicken, white rice, steamed carrots

✓ Oriental Sesame Chicken Strips, white rice, green beans

Bechamel Lasagna, French bread, serve with salad

✓ Orange Teriyaki Chicken, white rice, green beans

✓ Marinated Chicken to serve with baked potatoes and buttered corn

Five Cheese Lasagna, French bread, serve with salad

Porcupine Meatballs, mashed potatoes, serve with buttered corn

Deborah’s Shepherd Pie, serve with biscuits and fruit

Lemon Zucchini muffins

Two loaves Zucchini Bread

Two loaves Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread

Pumpkin Streusel muffins

Four batches Buttermilk pancakes

I'm going to make two batches of Spaghetti Sauce today, and more French bread. I might even make up some French bread pizzas. I'm running out of freezer room (even with an extra side-by-side fridge) so I may have to start running food over to my mom's.

.





1 comment:

Dea said...

Wow Barbara where on earth did you find the time?

Just posted a tuna noodle casserole that could work too. I would toast the breadcrumbs with the butter and toss them in a ziploc with the casserole, then sprinkle on before baking. But I seem to recall you're not all tuna fans? I'm not either, but for some reason (cream?) it worked!