Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Monday, June 16, 2008

Recipe Review -- Giada's Bolognese

.
I suppose you've figured out by now that if I do a recipe review, it means the recipe was good. I certainly learned (if not as a child, then definitely as a mom) "if you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all." So, I won't tell you about the bad stuff -- only the really good. You can come to my blog knowing you will only look through rose-colored glasses here.

You're welcome.

Anyway, bolognese. Last week, when I was winging it with the menu, and starting teenager cooking lessons, I had a couple pounds of ground chuck to kill (you know what I mean), and a can of Italian sauce, and a box of mostaccioli. At five o'clock I turned on the fire and at six we had a meal -- good deal. And, because of this recipe, it was an awesome meal, which I will make again.

I won't republish the recipe, but I will tell you I didn't have any celery and I used an extra carrot. I also used my can of Italian sauce instead of crushed tomatoes. I would make it my way again. The sauce was sweet (I think the carrots and the sauce), but hearty and very tasty. The texture was a little chunky (warning for those with kids who don't eat chunky), but the chunks were tender. My kids thought it was a little like chili (although no chili flavor), but even my texture picky one ate a bowl of sauce with bread for dipping.

My teen cook made the entire sauce, with direction. He chopped and browned and stirred. He boiled the pasta. I think he could do it again.


No comments: