Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Monday, April 7, 2008

Fajitas


.
This is the time of year when grilled meat tastes so good. We grill occasionally during the winter, but it tastes so good when you can just mosey on out to the deck and throw something on the grill -- much better than putting on boots and grilling in the dark.

This is a recipe I've had for at least fifteen years. I use it several times a year -- probably four or five, with either steak of chicken. It always turns out great and there are never any leftovers. The boys and Doug especially love it -- I'd be just as happy with veggie fajitas, but I'm not as big a meat eater as they are.

I use flank steak, or skirt steak, or boneless, skinless chicken breasts. You can't go wrong with either and sometimes I do both. Half the recipe will marinate two skirt steaks, or one regular flank steak or six boneless breasts. I use the whole recipe to do both steak and chicken, because I marinate them separately.

I serve these with sauteed peppers and onions, sour cream, cheese, salsa, and sometimes guacamole for a treat (salsa and guacamole recipes here).




Even though the recipe says marinate for 24 hours,
I usually pour the marinade on in the morning
and refrigerate until grill time.



Chicken or Steak Fajitas


⅔ cup olive oil
½ cup lime juice
2 T. minced garlic
4 t. cumin
4 t. coriander or cilantro*
½ t. allspice
1 t. salt
1 t. pepper
3 lbs. meat (chicken or steak)
warm flour tortillas


Mix marinade ingredients.

Place meat and marinade in a dish or bag
and sit at room temperature for 1 hour
or in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
Remove meat from refrigerator 30 minutes before grilling.
Grill meat until done.
Slice thinly, across the grain, and top with topping ingredients on tortillas.

* Because I do not like the taste of
coriander,
I have only ever used fresh cilantro in this recipe.


.

3 comments:

Anna said...

This is a great blog. Your recipes are very tempting and I like the layout and how simple it is to find good recipes.

Would you be interested in exchanging links with me? I have a recipes site at http://www.low-calorie-and-vegetarian-recipes-4u.com

I have gone ahead and added your link at http://www.low-calorie-and-vegetarian-recipes-4u.com/links2.html.

The name of my site is Low Calorie and Vegetarian Recipes. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Barb for this great recipe. I made it yesterday and my family really enjoyed the flavor of the meat. I used the leftover marinade to saute the peppers and onions.

Hope you're feeling better.

Rachel in Dallas

C said...

Hi :) happened upon your blog today - fantastic recipes! I'm going to enjoy using some of them in the coming weeks.
Just a quick note about this recipe - Coriander and Cilantro are actually the same plant. Cilantro is the leafy part, and Coriander is the stalk, root and seed. (also the ground up dried version of the seed too)
The stalk and leaf taste pretty much the same, but the stalk has a far stronger flavour - great to use if you don't have much and you want to maximise the flavour in your food.
But yeah, just wanted to point that out... I'm assuming when you say you don't like coriander, but use cilantro, that you're refering to the ground, dried coriander that you don't like. (Have to agree, I find it a little too strong, and musky myself. However it's great to add to curry bases, and to things like fish cakes!)

-Jacey