Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Friday, March 14, 2008

Salmon Patties



We were supposed to go the K of C Fish Fry last night. The K of C at our parish has a pretty good one -- with real fish. But Doug bugged out for a state b-ball tournament and with a new cold, I didn't have it in me to take the kids alone. So I resorted to our default Friday meatless meal, Salmon Patties, Baked Macaroni and Cheese and green peas.

I know, I know. You ate them once and they were terrible. Or you heard that someone ate them once and they were terrible. But have you eaten them with your adult taste buds? Have you eaten them since you started buying the groceries?


Salmon patties have a bad reputation, but I can't for the life of me figure out why. They beat the pants off frozen fish fillets, in my opinion. And canned salmon is an American product -- canned in Alaska. All canned salmon is wild salmon, which I definitely prefer. I recently saw a news program about farm-raised Chinese fish and I am definitely thinking twice about buying fresh or frozen fish (at least the kind you can buy in Ohio). And canned salmon is cheap food. I can buy two cans of canned pink salmon --enough for six patties -- for $3.

So, if you think you don't like salmon patties, or you didn't like them as a kid, try them again. And by the way, my kids don't have their adult taste buds yet, so they don't eat them. But I loved them as a kid, and my brothers loved them, and Doug and I still do. Just think "crab cake" without the big price tag.


Salmon Patties

2 (14.75 oz.) cans pink or red salmon*
2 eggs
1/2 c. plain bread crumbs, divided
3 T. finely diced onion
salt and pepper to taste
2 T. vegetable or corn oil

Remove salmon from cans and separate "meat" from skin and bones
(You can leave in some tiny bones - that's where the calcium in salmon comes from).**
Add eggs, 6 T. bread crumbs, onion, and salt and pepper.
Mix with your hands, breaking up salmon
and small bones with your fingers.
Form into patties
(I usually get 6 medium patties from 2 cans).
Dip patties into remaining breadcrumbs.
Heat oil in pan.
Place patties in pan and cook for 4 to 5 minutes,
until golden
browned on bottom.
Flip and
brown the other side.
Serve with ketchup if it tastes good to you --
that's how we eat them.

*pink is less expensive than red, but I've heard it's stronger in flavor;
honestly I can't tell the difference
(by the way -- the above link to Bumblebee is not a plug;
I buy several different brands)

** If dealing with the skin and bones makes you
squeamish
(I'll refrain from telling you to get a grip)
you can buy skinless, boneless salmon, but it's
pricier.

.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Barbara,

I've always been a fan of salmon patties. It was one of my Mom's favorite meatless Friday meals (especially during Lent) and I just loved them. My guys (son and husband) have never shown any interest in salmon patties, so I should just make them for myself. I can remember visiting my Dad long after Mom passed away and he had a taste for them and also wanted her cream sauce with peas that she used to serve with the salmon patties. Your column brought back many memories. Thanks.

Liz Baumann
baumanns2 at verizon dot net

Anonymous said...

I love salmon patties also - your recipe looks wonderful!

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

I would love to try this, since I'm supposed to be incorporating more salmon, specifically, into my diet. I do not think I could handle the skin/bones thing, though. I have trouble preparing chicken. My parents used to eat these all the time. They fried them outside on something so that the odor wouldn't infltrate the house. Nice to meet a Buckeye. We lived in Findlay for a few years; two of our three were born there. (We're in Indiana now.)