Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Hot Milk Cake

.





This cake is one of my favorite cakes holding some of my favorite memories. This cake is the cake that my grandma (my mother's mother) made when I was a little girl. Every year without fail. It always had tinted green coconut with jelly beans tucked in all around the top.

It's a good cake; it's from scratch. But, the real reason it's one of my very favorite cakes is because when I mix the batter, I think about my grandma. And when I whip the frosting, I think about my grandma. And with each and every sweet, tender bite, I think about my grandma. To me that is a perfect food. Not only does it taste good, but it evokes emotion.

I'm lucky that my grandma is still here -- she's 91 years old. She doesn't make this cake anymore, because she has a difficult time getting around. But, I'm happy to carry on the tradition. I make it every year, without fail, and hopefully someday someone will think about me when they make this cake.

About the cake -- it's not a moist, dense cake, but light in crumb and tasty. You can frost it with any buttercream frosting, and sprinkle the tinted coconut just after you frost it so it will stick. You can also skip the coconut if that's your preference. You can tell by the way the recipe is written that it's very old. You don't really have to add the sugar and flour one spoon at a time, just pour it in slowly.




Hot Milk Cake
Printer version


2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
2 t. baking powder
4 eggs
1 cup milk
1 stick butter
pinch salt
1 t. vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Grease and flour round pans or oblong pan,
depending on your preference.
Sift flour and baking powder four times.
Scald milk, then turn off and add butter; cool.
Beat eggs and salt until foamy.
Add sugar one spoonful at a time; beat.
Then add flour one spoonful at a time.
Add milk and butter and vanilla
and beat until very creamy.
Bake at 350 degrees, 25 minutes for 2 round pans;
40 minutes for 13 x 9 pan.
Cake tests done with a toothpick.
Do not overbake.
.

No comments: