Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Weekly Menu

.
This week starts Lent, which means Mardi Gras, and Ash Wednesday.

We don't really celebrate Mardi Gras per se, but we do have Shrovetide Pancakes (I'll post the recipe in case anyone is interested) and we have King Cake.

Ash Wednesday begins our period of Abstinence (and Fasting on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday). Since our family abstains from meat on all Fridays, Lent is really no different. At lunch during Lent, however, I will be planning a small lunch as an additional sacrifice -- sort of a bread and water type of thing.

I'm going to post a list of meatless meal links before Wednesday to help all of us get through Lent. I sincerely try not to eat much fish on Fridays, unless it's something like tuna or canned salmon. This week our grocer has catfish on sale for a really good price, so I'm planning that dish. But, personally,
I don't think it's much of a sacrifice to have Shrimp Scampi on Fridays. Where's the hardship in that? So my list of meatless meals will be simple dishes that will hopefully get us through Lent without too much Tuna Noodle or Salmon Patties.

Saturday
Lunch: Asiago Roast Beef Sandwich, veggies and dip
Dinner: Hamburgers,
Baked Potato Skins, Waldorf Coleslaw

Sunday
Brunch: Scrambled eggs, Sour Cream Coffee Cake, fruit
Dinner: Kansas City Hot Wings, Cowboy Caviar, Gazpacho Dip and chips, Muffaletta (trying this Olive Salad since I lost my fav recipe), Root Bear Floats

Monday
Lunch: leftovers
Dinner: Chicken Noodle Soup, bread

Tuesday
Lunch: Shrovetide Pancakes
Dinner: Green Chicken Enchiladas, rice, refritos, King Cake

Wednesday
Lunch: Cheese Quesadillas
Dinner: Tuna Noodle Casserole, green beans

Thursday
Lunch: ABC Soup
Dinner: White Bean and Turkey Chili, tortillas

Friday
Lunch: Lenten Biscuits and cheese
Dinner: Cornmeal Crusted Catfish Nuggets, Scalloped Potatoes, coleslaw

* Tried and true
* New to me
.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Barbara,

Thanks for the meal planning help- preparing us for Lent.

Stina said...

THANK YOU!!!

I was going to ask about great recipes for Fridays on my blog and here you are! Fridays lately have consisted of fishsticks and grilled cheese, with an occasional tuna-mac casserole. I'm really looking forward to trying your recipes!