Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Sunday, November 11, 2007

Weekly Menu

I took inventory this week before I made my menu, and my goal, again, is to not buy new food, when there is food in the house. So this week I'm using up a few items in the pantry and freezer, and eating what's on sale at the grocer.

I did pretty well at the grocery, spending about $140 between two grocers, that including potatoes for Thanksgiving (because they were on sale this week) and a bottle of wine. That may sound like a lot to some, and it is, but I can't seem to whittle is down past that point. I know it's because the boys just eat a lot, and they don't eat the cheapest food, but I don't buy much junk (one box of Cheez-its and one bag of chips -- no packaged cookies), so I'm clueless as to how to get my bill lower. It's kind of like my weight. It just kind of settles at that point no matter what I do!

I bought two Bottom Round roasts (buy one get one at Giant Eagle this week), so, today I'm fixing Annie's Pot Roast (a Cooking Light recipe) and we'll have leftovers on buns Tuesday night. Annie's recipe calls for chuck roast, but since bottom round roasts were on sale, that's what I'm using. I'm cooking mine in the crock pot instead of the oven, so it should be nice and tender.

I'm trying a few new potato recipes from Parents.com this week, as well. Potatoes are so inexpensive, especially this time of year, and it's one menu item that no one complains about. So, lots of potatoes this week. I always say you could live off of potatoes. I'm mixing it up with one sweet potato recipe on Monday.

We also have some great feast days this week. St. Josephat, St. Frances Xavier Cabrini (one of my favorites), St. Albert, St. Margaret of Scotland and St. Elizabeth of Hungary. So, I've tried to include a few feast day recipes to remember our saints by, as well.

Sunday
Brunch: Waffles and Sausage
Dinner: Pot Roast, mashed potatoes, carrots, rolls, ice cream and pizzelles

Monday – Feast of St. Josaphat
Lunch: chicken tenders, raw vegetables
(packers: smoked turkey sandwich, vegetables, candy bar)
Sweet Potato Pancakes, sautéed kielbasa, applesauce or cole slaw

Tuesday – Feast of St. Frances Xavier Cabrini
Lunch: Sausage balls and BBQ sauce, fruit
(packers: smoked turkey sandwich, Cheez-its, fruit)
Roast Beef Sandwiches, Baked Corn Casserole, fruit, Biscottis

Wednesday
Lunch: McDonald's value menu
(packers: ham and swiss, chips, cookies)
Cheesy Chicken Bundles, Lemon Rice, Buttered corn

Thursday – Feast of St. Albert
Lunch: Cheeseburger noodles
(packers: ham and swiss, vegetables, candy bar)
Potato lasagna, cabbage salad, muffins, Cream Puffs

Friday – Feast of St. Margaret of Scotland
Lunch: baked potatoes
(packers: PB&J, Cheez-its, fruit)
Dinner: Chilaquiles, fruit, Nun’s Lemon Cake

Saturday – Feast of St. Elizabeth of Hungary
Breakfast – Crown-shaped coffee cake ring
Lunch: Skyline chili
Dinner: BLT Pizza and Pepperoni Pizza

* Tried and True
* New to me

.

No comments: