Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Thursday, August 2, 2007

Roasted Garlic Bean Dip and Toasted Pitas

Isn't it funny when you knock yourself out for a big dinner and your guests rave about something you didn't give a second thought to. That's my Roasted Garlic Bean Dip. We had guests for dinner on Saturday, and though I really knocked myself out for dinner and dessert, the dish that got the most raves was my Roasted Garlic Bean Dip and Toasted Pitas. My little five-minute appetizer that I give not a bat of an eye to -- it steals the show every time. Maybe it's the simplicity that everyone loves. Friends and family frequently ask for the recipe. So, I share it with you and maybe it will steal your show.

NOTE: You really need a food processor for this dish. I imagine you could use a food mill if you have one, but I'm not sure that just mashing would work. But, maybe.




Roasted Garlic Bean Dip and Toasted Pitas

10 cloves of garlic, roasted (see below)
½ t. salt
19 oz. can white beans
1 T. cider vinegar
¾ t. ground cumin
⅓ cup mayonnaise
2 T. chopped fresh parsley
one bag pitas
1/3 c. butter, melted
1/3 c. Parmesan


In food processor combine roasted garlic cloves, beans, vinegar, cumin and salt. Process one minute, scraping bowl once. Add mayo and parsley. Pulse until blended. Serve with toasted pita crisps, crackers or vegetables.

To roast garlic: Coat unpeeled garlic cloves with oil and wrap tightly in foil. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 20 minutes. Cool slightly and peel.

Parmesan pita crisps: Cut each pita bread into four pieces and break them open to get eight pieces. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes.




.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Barbara,

I made your Roasted Garlic Bean Dip over the weekend. Fabulous! My husband and I adored it!

Thanks for sharing.

Liz Baumann
baumanns2 @ verizon.net