Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Colorful Black Bean Salad


photo from Betty Crocker

This recipe originally came from Betty Crocker. I altered it a little bit -- I use fewer black beans than the recipe calls for and more corn (actually about equal parts of each). And this time I added avocado at the request of my boys -- I added it just before serving. I'm giving you the original recipe. It makes a boatload -- 20 servings, which is great for a party, but if you want to serve it to a smaller gang, you could easily size it down.

Colorful Black Bean Salad

3 cups frozen corn, thawed and drained
3 cups peeled, diced jicama*
3 med. tomatoes, seeded and chopped
6 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
6 green onions, chopped
¾ cup red wine vinegar
⅓ cup vegetable oil
1 ½ t. chili powder
¾ t. cumin
3 small garlic cloves, minced**


Toss vegetables together in a large bowl. Mix dressing ingredients together and pour over vegetables. Stir and chill at least 2 hours, but not more than 8.

* since Jicama are expensive in my neck of the woods ($3) for one, I used just one Jicama. It yielded about 2 cups and that was plenty in my book.

** I used 5 or 6, but we like it flavorful

.

No comments: