Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Sour Cream Chocolate Cupcakes

These cupcakes are a good, quick recipe. I usually make cake from scratch because I don't like the taste of mix, but the extra ingredients change the taste of the mix and I don't think they taste like a package. They also bake up nice and neat and I admit that scratch cupcakes often don't have a nice dome on them and they frequently run over. I use a flipper-style ice cream scoop to dole out my batter, using just a little less than a whole scoop. They are perfectly sized -- rising just to the top of the paper with a dome in the center. I get about 30 cupcakes from this recipe.



I know that you know what a chocolate cupcake looks likes,
so instead I'll show you a picture of my little cutie enjoying one
after her bath last night.



Sour Cream Chocolate Cupcakes

1 pkg plain devil's food cake mix
2 T unsweetened cocoa
1 cup sour cream
½ cup oil
½ cup water
3 eggs
1 t vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 F. Line cupcake pans with 24 cupcake liners (I do one pan at a time, so youu can just use one pan if you want). Set pans aside.
Place cake mix, cocoa powder, sour cream, oil, water, eggs and vanilla in large mixing bowl. Blend on low for 1 minute. Scrape down sides and beat 2 minutes longer. Pour batter into cupcake lined pans two-thirds full. Bake until cupcakes spring back lightly when touched, 20-26 minutes. Cool on racks for 5 minutes. Remove from pans and cool on rack until completely cool. Frost with any frosting. Below is the one I used (sorry for the rough estimates -- I don't usually measure for this.)


Easy Chocolate Frosting

4 T. butter, softened
1/2 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted
about 3 c. powdered sugar
several T. milk
1/2 t. vanilla (optional)

In a mixer bowl, with whisk attachment, beat butter and melted chocolate chips until smooth and creamy. Add powdered sugar, one cup at a time and beat until well-mixed, but will be dry looking. Add one tablespoon of milk at a time and beat well until frosting is fluffy and creamy. Whip in vanilla if desired.






No comments: