Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Hot Cereal



Well, according to the date stamp on my last post, it's been a month since I posted here. Shame, for shame. I have loads and loads of foodie pics, and just always seem to choose something else to work on rather than post a recipe.






Well, here's an easy one -- hot cereal. It snowed yesterday so it's officially hot cereal weather. I am a grain eater at breakfast time. I can't eat eggs until much later in the day, and fruit and yogurt just doesn't "do it" for breakfast for me. I am like a horse -- have to have my bag of grain. {wink}

The bowl of cereal pictured here is hot Grape Nuts. I used to eat hot Grape Nuts through the entire winter. I never got tired of them, and then I moved away from them. I'm back, but I was disappointed to notice on the box I just bought that Grape Nuts started including soy protein in the ingredients. Yuck. I noticed they started advertising on the box label that each serving contains 8 g protein. I guess now I know why.

I think Kashi has a similar product, I'll have to check their label next time I buy. I also found this recipe, which I am going to try -- even better, homemade.

Anyway, this is really not so much about hot Grape Nuts (though my "recipe" is below), as it is about hot cereal. My latest favorite way to eat it is with bananas and toasted walnuts. Heavenly! I often have brown rice cereal instead of Grape Nuts, and sometimes good ol' Cream of Wheat. I can't eat straight up oatmeal; it really bothers my stomach, but I can eat granola with milk.

What is your favorite hot cereal? Do you eat it every day?



Hot Grape Nuts

about 1/2 cup Grape Nuts
about 1/3 cup milk (just enough to cover)
a squirt of honey to taste
a dab of butter (optional)

Heat Grape Nuts in the microwave for one minute.

For Banana Nut Grape Nuts, top with sliced bananas and toasted walnuts (make sure they are toasted for the best flavor and crunch! Just heat them in a small frying pan over medium low until they get very fragrant.)


6 comments:

Sara said...

I used to LOVE hot grape nuts. If I'm going to eat hot cereal now, which is pretty rare, it'll be oatmeal with butter, cream, AND brown sugar! Yum.

I have nothing much on my mind to blog about, so I should tell everyone about my daily breakfast now. It's shocking!

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Ugh...are all the cereals doing that now? Time to start reading the boxes.

I've been eating a sliced apple and Cheddar cheese for breakfast lately. Yum.

Barbara said...

Please do, Sara...is it leftover Taco Salad? ;-)

Barbara said...

I know, Barb. I really do read a lot of labels because with Noah's peanut/tree nut allergies I learned you can't count on anything staying the same. But he doesn't eat Grape Nuts, hence my ignorance.

Apples and cheese sounds good but I don't think I could eat it first thing. :-)

Sarah said...

My kids LOVE hot Grape Nuts! It kind of surprises me, but hey, it's quick and easy and warm! They like it with 1 tsp of brown sugar.

I have been eating Greek yogurt, chopped apple, a little stevia and cinnamon and 1/4 C granola for breakfast. It's been my standby this fall. I really like oatmeal, too!

mel said...

I have never had hot grape nuts! Have to try it. We eat it on yogurt sometimes. I do love oatmeal, especially the irish oats.