Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Pumpkin Spice Granola




We enjoyed fresh from the orchard apples all through September.We still have about a peck of mixed apples to eat and I need to go back to the orchard to get my oldest son's favorite, Sun Crisp. I held off on baking pumpkin treats as long as I could so we could enjoy our apples, but when the calendar flipped to October, I decided I held off long enough.

 The first treat of the season was these Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Squares. I subbed oat flour for about half the all-purpose flour and I think it made them even better!

The second treat was Pumpkin Granola. I hunted around the Internet looking for a recipe, but all the Pumpkin Granola recipes I saw had Pumpkin Pie Spice, but no actual pumpkin. Pumpkin is an awesome vegetable, nutritionally, a good source of Vitamin E, Thiamin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Folate, Iron, Magnesium and Phosphorus, and a very good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Riboflavin, Potassium, Copper and Manganese. I have been known to sneak pumpkin in a lot of dishes. It's just plain good, and paired with oats, coconut, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds and yummy warm spices, it's a win.



Pumpkin Granola

2 c. old-fashioned oats
2 c. quick oats
3 T. sesame seeds
2 T. ground flax seeds
1/4 c. sunflower seeds
1/4 c. pepitos (or another nut -- almonds are good)
1/2 c. coconut
1 1/2 t. cinnamon
1/8 t. cloves
1/8 t. ginger
1/8 t. nutmeg
5 T. coconut oil, melted
3/4 c. brown sugar
1/8 t. salt
3 T. maple syrup
1/2 c. pumpkin puree
1 t. vanilla
dried fruit of your choice -- about 1/2 cup (optional)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. 

In  large bowl, combine oats, coconut and spices.

In a small bowl, mix melted coconut oil, sugar, salt, syrup, pumpkin and vanilla. Pour onto oat mixture and mix thoroughly (the easiest way to do this is with your impeccably clean hands). Pour mixture onto a large baking sheet and bake at 325 degrees F for 40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. 

When granola is baked remove from oven and if using dried fruit, scatter fruit on the top of the hot granola. Cool completely and then place in a jar or other airtight storage container.







3 comments:

Linda said...

Barbara...come out, come out, wherever you are! :)

Linda said...

I sincerely hope that you are okay and that nothing serious is keeping you away from your blog. I miss you. --Linda

Renee said...

Ohhhhh, another "perfect for autumn" recipe. Thanks for sharing! Yum! I think I need a snack. I'm getting hungry looking at all your recipes and photos right about now. LOL