Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Monday, June 11, 2012

Coconut Granola






Never let it be said that I failed a friend in need. My dear friend Maggie up in Minnesota is pregnant and wearing a dull spot on the sofa. Apparently she felt she just might have enough energy to whip up a batch of Coconut Granola, however, because she practically offered her firstborn in exchange for the recipe. I'll tell ya what though, that firstborn is safe with his mama because I want no more teenagers. None, nadda, zip. Hopefully she has all the ingredients on-hand for this recipe, because I hate to see her poor husband sent out to the store again.

I saw the recipe on, you guessed, Pinterest, but I altered it so much due to food allergies and a lack of the proper quantity of maple syrup, I'm just gonna call it my own. If you want to see the original recipe, you can find it here at Two Peas and Their Pod.






Coconut Granola

4 cups old-fashioned oats (or two cups old-fashioned and 2 cups quick oats -- not instant)
1 1/2 cups sweetened, shredded coconut
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 t. cinnamon
3/4 t. coarse kosher salt (or 1/2 t. table salt)

1/2 cup melted coconut oil
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 t. vanilla
1/2 t. coconut extract


Heat oven to 300 degrees F.
Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.
Mix wet ingredients in a small bowl.
Pour liquid ingredients over dry ingredients and toss with your hands or a spatular until well mixed. Pour onto a large rimmed cookie sheet and bake for 35-40 minutes until golden brown, stirring every ten minutes or so (or send one of the kids to stir it up). Cool completely and then place in a glass jar for storage (or plastic, if you must).


NOTE: If you want to add seeds or nuts just add them. I usually add nuts before the granola bakes, and dried fruit after the granola bakes but while it is still hot. I will say, however, that I missed neither nuts nor fruit in this recipe, and I ate it with milk once and yogurt once (and a tablespoon of homemade strawberry jam -- yum).


Printer version



4 comments:

Kelly said...

YUM!! Sounds wonderful, Barbara. I love coconut and granola. A perfect pairing.

Margaret in Minnesota said...

You ROCK. Not only did you give me just cause for getting off my couch (because, unfortunately, the hu'band doesn't cook), you also made ne laugh out loud.

Laughing is exercise too, is it not?

Linda said...

Yum! Coconut! Why are there so many people who don't like it? Why are most of them in my family? :(

Mary said...

I've been hoping to see this after your post about it. It sounds delicious! I am the only granola and coconut eater in my house, so it looks like I won't have to share :) Thanks!