Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Friday, April 27, 2012

Strawberry Yogurt Cake


I am loving Pinterest if for no other reason than I see a lot of recipes I would not otherwise see. This cake recipe is one of those, and as soon as I saw the words strawberry, yogurt, and cake in the same recipe, I knew it was a done deal. It took about two days for me to stop at the market and get what I needed.

This cake was like no cake I have ever had. It was so moist, almost like a cheesecake, and packed with flavor. Sweet, but not too, and tangy from the yogurt. Delish! As I said, I spied the recipe on Pinterest, but it came from A Spicy Perspective.Thanks, Sommer, for a great recipe.

I modified a little, to cut back on the acid and then just because. I omitted the lemon zest, but surely did not notice (though if acid is not an issue for you, go for it!). I also used a scant 2 cups of sugar, (maybe 2 cups minus 2 T) but might cut back even farther next time. I also used milk for the glaze instead of lemon juice and doubled the powdered sugar because I wanted a substantial glaze. (For less sugar, use the original measure.) I like a not-so-sweet cake with sweet icing.



Fresh Strawberry Yogurt Cake

1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
scant 2 cups sugar
3 eggs
3 Tb. lemon juice, divided (or use milk for glaze)
Zest of 1 lemon (optional)
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour, divided
½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
8 oz. plain or vanilla, Greek yogurt (I used plain)
12 oz. fresh strawberries, diced
1 cup powdered sugar (double for a white glaze like mine)

Preheat oven to 325*. Grease and flour a 10 inch Bundt pan (10-15 cup pan.) 

Sift together the 2 ¼ cups of flour, baking soda and salt. Mix in the lemon zest, if using, and set aside.

With an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in 1 Tb. lemon juice. Alternate beating in the flour mixture and the yogurt, mixing just until incorporated.

Toss the strawberries with the remaining ¼ cup of flour. Gently mix them into the batter.

Spoon batter into the Bundt pan (I find using an ice cream scoop to be helpful). Bake in the preheated oven for 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.

Allow to cool at least 20 minutes in the pan, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely. Once cooled whisk together the remaining 2 Tb. of lemon juice (or milk) and the powdered sugar. Drizzle over the top of the cake.

5 comments:

Linda said...

If one does not have a blog page, can one still use Pinterest? I'm very curious about this, but don't know what to do. If this cake is an example of the glorious finds out there in the blogosphere, I'm thinking I should look into it. Can you help? :)

Sara said...

Oh, yum. I think I would love that.

Barbara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Barbara said...

Call me if you make one, Sara. I'll run over!

Barbara said...

Linda, pinterest works two ways. The first is that it is a place to bookmark things you see on the Internet. Anything with a photo. It's like taking a photo and pinning it on a board except electronic.
Second, like other social networks you find friends there. And like other social networks (Facebook) they don't have to be in-real-life friends (though they can be). They can be like-minded strangers that you sort of stalk (sounds worse than it is). The technical word is "follow." you see what they pin. That is how I see recipes I would not normally see: my "friends" pin something they saw. It's kind of like having a friend say "hey I saw a recipe, wanna see?" except not nearly as fun as in person. :-)

Last I heard you had to have an invite from someone else (ridiculous) so if you want one I'll send you one.