Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Cap'n Crunch Chicken

I have had some busy weeks creating rosaries and scapulars, but today my little chick is sick on the sofa so I am spending exactly one hour, not a minute more, catching up here as much as I can.




This recipe we have already had twice since I first discovered it and it's a big, big hit. Faith asked me the other day (on our second go-round) why it is that the chicken doesn't taste like Cap'n Crunch, and I guess I didn't have a very good answer. It just doesn't. The breading is crisp and slightly sweet, but nothing like a bowl of the Cap'n. The panko, flour and seasoning mellow it out I guess. I turn my oven on warm so that as I fry, I can place them on a rack over a pan until all the pieces are cooked. We easily eat two packages of chicken tenders. And speaking of which, I buy the chicken tenders because they are no more expensive than the boneless breasts, and that saves the step of cutting the strips (I multiply the breading times 1.5 for two packages of chicken). Besides the tenders are really tender and I cut time off the marinating step.

These are great with garlic mashed potatoes or mac and cheese, and definitely make the honey mustard. Yum.

Cap'n Crunch Chicken

vegetable oil for frying
2 skinless chicken breast fillets (or a package of chicken tenders)
1 cup buttermilk
1 egg
2 cups Cap’n Crunch cereal
½ cup panko bread crumbs
½ cup Wondra flour
½ teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon white pepper

Creole Mustard Sauce:
2 tablespoons Grey Poupon Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 teaspoon yellow mustard
1 teaspoon honey
Mix together and chill in refrigerator.

Cut each chicken fillet, lengthwise, into 5 long slices pounded flat (chicken fingers). Put in a bowl, cover with buttermilk, and marinate overnight. Just before breading, mix in an egg to the marinade. Smash the Cap’n Crunch into crumbs using a food processor, or put the cereal into a plastic bag and start pounding. Combine the cereal, crumbs, flour, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl. Remove chicken from milk and completely coat it with the dry mixture. Discard leftover milk. When the oil is hot, fry the chicken for 4 to 6 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. Remove to paper towels or a rack to drain. Serve hot with chilled Creole mustard sauce on the side for dipping. 

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Yum! I'll have to try this recipe soon. We love homemade chicken strips.

Barbara said...

My whole family loves them, Kelly. Let me know what you think!