Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Friday, March 30, 2012

Sweet and Spicy Green Beans






It's not often that I come across a vegetable recipe that my family raves about. Most nights I have to nag my kids, "Eat your vegetable or your guts will rot out." They laugh, and eat one kernel of corn, and then I deny dessert, and then they come back when I am tired and eat cold cereal. It's an endless battle.

But these green beans...these green beans...they won! They made them eat green beans. Yey!

I am trying not to make them every week because I think they might catch on to my tactic, but they are so very good I want to eat them every week.

The recipe came from Abby at Confabulation in the Kitchen and I made them just as written (except I doubled the sauce). I was a little confused by the ingredient "chili sauce." I was pretty sure Abby didn't mean Heinz Chili Sauce, and so I used Sriracha. I think you could also use Asian Sweet Chili Sauce (also Tabasco makes a new sweet Asian hot sauce) -- it might be better for little guys because the Sriracha is pretty spicy.


Sweet and Spicy Green Beans
serves 4-6 side servings

3/4 pound fresh or frozen green beans
1 clove garlic, minced
2 T. soy sauce
1 t. chili sauce
1 t. honey
2 t. olive oil


Bring large pot of water to a boil. Steam beans 3 to 4 minutes. Set aside.
In a separate bowl, combine garlic, soy sauce, chili sauce and honey.
Heat olive oil in saute pan over medium-high heat. Add beans and saute, stirring, 3 to 4 minutes. Pour sauce over beans and cook another 2 to 3 minutes, stirring, until liquid is mostly cooked away (if you double the sauce you will have liquid left). Serve hot.



5 comments:

Abby said...

Look at that! Glad the kids liked them, but I figured they would because *I* liked them and I'm a big ol' green-bean hater. (Usually)

And yes, that's the right kind of chili sauce. Down here (the South) that's what I'd call it. We don't do specifics! (I say, can I have a Coke? When I mean a Sprite. That works here.) I've never even heard of Heinz Chili Sauce. Hot sauce, like Texas Pete, is hot sauce. Not chili sauce. See? Exactly. We can be hard to follow down here...!

Jamie Jo said...

mmmmm...who cares about the kids, those beans look delicious!! hahha!

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

YUMMY!! We'll be trying these next time the green beans at the store look good.

Sara said...

I'm making these tonight to go with our Asian Pork Tenderloin!

Crafty P said...

finally got around to making these tonight to go with bourbon chicken. DELISH! thanks dear!