Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Monday, January 16, 2012

Iced fruity green tea



How odd that I should blog about iced tea in the middle of winter. I normally keep my cold hands wrapped around a mug of something super hot and toasty all day long. A few weeks ago, however, I drank my first iced green tea at Panera, with my lunch (it was my first iced green tea ever, not just first one at panera) and I can't get it out of my head. I have since tried two other brands and was disappointed with both -- too acidic for me.

I did a little online research and found out that Panera makes their tea from a mix produced by Republic of Teas and it's not available to purchase. Pft. Republic of Teas sells black tea with papaya and passion fruit, but not green. I like having green, if for no other reason than reduced caffeine.

I found and ordered some Tea Nation Green Tea with Papaya and Passion Fruit and it arrived today. I brewed a double strong cup, added 2 tablespoons of sugar, and poured it over a full glass of ice. It's pretty good. Not quite as good as Panera's but at $2.79 a pop (and NO refills), I think I'll find a way to make it good. It might need some honey, and maybe just a tiny bit of lemon.

Tell me, do you have a favorite item that you'd love to be able to make at home?

NOTE: After trying the Tea Nation a few times, I have decided I don't like it. It has an off taste. I am still on the hunt.

11 comments:

Kat said...

The pico de gallo salsa from Chipotle. It's the best I've ever had, and it comes from a quick service restaurant!

Barbara said...

You are right, Kat, it's good! Try the salsa at this post and see what you think -- you might cut back to one jalapeƱo.

Barbara said...

My phone is being stubborn and won't paste -- this recipe, Kat: http://blessusolord.blogspot.com/2009/04/black-bean-soup-with-fresh-salsa.html?m=1

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

OOO, my daughter loves that green tea from Panera. I'm going to look for some papaya/passionfruit green tea to make her some at home. I would TOTALLY be the hero :)

Here's my pico de gallo that's pretty close to Chipotle: http://sfomomfridge.blogspot.com/2011/05/takeout-you-can-make-at-home-chipotle.html

I always want to make stuff at home after having it at a restaurant. I have yet to figure out how to make that "sweet corn cake" that many Mexican places feature (ChiChi's and Don Pablo's). Went through a LOT of ingredients way back when I was trying to duplicate this one on a semi-weekly basis.

Barbara said...

Barb, after trying the tea nation brand a few times I would not use it again. It has an off taste. I'm not sure what it is but I'm still looking for the right bag.

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Do you think you might have more success just using the fruit juice and adding it to plain green tea?

Barbara said...

Possibly. Trying to keep it an inexpensive beverage, however!

SnowflakeDisneyMommy said...

I just recently tried Panera's Iced Green Tea and LOVED it! I have been looking everywhere for a somewhat similar recipe! I will definately keep a lookout and post it if I do!

Sherri said...

A new flavor has just been released by the republic of tea http://www.republicoftea.com/sweet-tea-tropical-green-tea-bags/p/V01075/
I am pretty sure it is the green tea from Panera Bread!

Anonymous said...

like many, i too want to replicate panera's green tea!
i heard it is this one
http://www.republicoftea.com/product.aspx?p=V00531

but 5 dollars for 16 ounces? plus shipping..

i also heard that this tea is really good and is something like panera
http://www.amazon.com/Paradise-Tea-Tropical-Pitcher-1-48-Ounce/dp/B001EQ5MB6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I'm going to get some green tea and papaya/passion fruit juice,some lemon and or honey and see if i can come up with something.

Barbara said...

Anon, yeah at $5 a bottle -- no way! That's insane. Be sure to report back if you find a good mix!