Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Friday, November 4, 2011

Creamy Cauliflower Soup





You might say, after my last post about my family not eating dinner, that you wouldn't eat my dinner either if it was Cauliflower Soup. To that, I say "Pft." ;-)

I saw this soup at Annie's Eats a couple weeks ago and knew I would love it. I have never met a soup I didn't like. In fact, if it was just me here, I'd probably eat soup five nights a week. Even in the summer. Soup is comfort food for me, no matter the flavor. This soup, however, was enjoyed by both of the kids who ate it, and my husband, and that's saying something (he is not a big-on-soup guy).

It's an easy recipe, and I love that the creaminess comes from a potato pureed  in with the cauliflower and onions, instead of real cream. The flavor was just slightly reminiscent of the Dijon included, but you could cut back to 1 teaspoon and I think still benefit without as much mustard flavor. The croutons have Dijon in them as well, but I bet you could cut it out almost entirely and made add some garlic powder to the butter/oil mix for some zest. And speaking of the croutons, I almost skipped them and subbed store-bought, but they are worth the extra effort, which is hardly anything. I used a whole wheat bread and they were really, really yummy. Enjoy, it's soup season!

I modified the recipe only to use the chicken broth instead of vegetable broth.Annie modified it to use vegetable instead of chicken, but I thought chicken would be better. If you are going meat-free, go with veggie! I also baked my croutons longer until they were brown.


Creamy Cauliflower Soup
4-6 servings

Printer version


About 6 oz. whole grain bread, cut into ½-inch cubes (I used five slices, including the "heel")
2 T. unsalted butter, melted
2 T. olive oil
1 T. Dijon mustard
Kosher or sea salt



2 T. unsalted butter
2 shallots, minced 
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
Kosher or sea salt
1 medium potato, peeled and diced into ¼-inch cubes
2 cloves garlic, minced
3½ cups chicken broth
½ head cauliflower, chopped into small florets
2/3 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, plus more for garnish
2 t. Dijon mustard

To make the croutons, preheat the oven to 350˚ F.  Add the bread cubes to a medium bowl and toss with the melted butter, olive oil, and mustard until evenly coated.  Spread the bread cubes out in an even layer on a baking sheet and sprinkle with the salt.  Bake for 15-20 minutes or until crunchy.


Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat.  Add the shallots and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly softened, about 4-5 minutes.  Season with salt, then mix in the potato, garlic and chicken broth.  Cover the pot and bring to a boil.  Lower the heat to a simmer, keep covered, and let cook for about 8 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.  Add the cauliflower and cook about 5-6 minutes more, until the cauliflower is tender.  Stir in the cheese and mustard.

Puree with an immersion blender (or a food processor, vented to allow the steam to escape).  Mix in additional water or broth if the soup is too thick.  Season with additional salt to taste.  Serve warm topped with additional shredded cheese and the croutons.

Source: Modified from Annie's Eats

1 comment:

Abby said...

Soup is Brad's fave, but this would be new to him. I love cauliflower, and I often roast it with parmesan. This would be good for a meat-lite meal! (For me. He always asks if we're having chicken or something to go with. Sigh. Men!)