Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Triple Layer Cheesecake



These photos have been sitting on my desktop for a month now, since my son's birthday in August. Everytime I sit down at the computer they are a reminder of its yumminess. ;-)

I love cheesecake and so do all of the members of my family, but I always forget just how very easy it is to make. It's easier than pie because there is no bothersome crust to fuss with, and in many ways easier than cake -- no fussy frosting after it cools. Simple ingredients and great awe factor!

For his 15th birthday last month my son asked for a triple layer cheesecake. He wanted a super duper chocolate layer, a medium chocolate layer, and a vanilla layer. It sounded complicated, and truly until I was in the midst of it, I thought it would be. But the layers are dense -- especially the bottom one, so they don't run into each other at all. I made the base of the cheesecake and then added different quantities of melted chocolate to two of them, giving me the three layers.

Noah requested a graham cracker crumb crust, but this would be just as good (and more chocolatey!) with chocolate cookie crust. I added a little bit of cocoa for some chocolate flavor.




Triple Layer Cheesecake
serves 12-14  
1-1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs 
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup cocoa
1/4 cup 
melted butter 

3 packages (8 oz. each) cream cheese, softened 
 3/4 cup sugar 
4 eggs 
1/4 cup heavy cream
 2 t. vanilla extract
 pinch salt 
1 T. flour
2 cups (12-oz. pkg.) bittersweet, or extra dark, chocolate chips, divided 
1 t. shortening


You'll need a 9" springform pan and a portable or stand mixer.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Combine graham cracker crumbs, powdered sugar, and cocoa. Stir until combined. Add butter and mix until mixture resembles sand. (If you crush the crackers in the food processor just add the other ingredients one at a time until you have the sandy mixture)
Pour into 9" springform pan and press against bottom and about 
1-1/2 inches up the side. I use the flat bottom of a glass for good compression.

Set crust aside.

Beat cream cheese and sugar in large bowl until very smooth. Gradually beat in eggs, heavy cream, vanilla and salt, beating until well blended; set aside.


Saving 2 tablespoons of the chocolate chips, place remaining chips in large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds on high. Stir. Continue to microwave on high for 30 seconds, stirring after each period, until chips are melted. It should take about 1 min 30 sec.

Cool for several minutes.

Gradually blend 1/3 of the cheesecake batter into melted chocolate. Spread 3/4 of that mixture into the prepared crust (just a rough guess -- not science).

Add another 1/3 of the base into the chocolatey base remaining in the bowl. Carefully spoon it over the first layer.

Add 1 T. flour to the remaining vanilla base, mixing well, and then carefully spread it over the second layer.

Bake 50 to 55 minutes or until center is almost set. Remove from oven to wire rack. With knife, immediately loosen cake from side of pan. Cool to room temperature.

Place reserved 2 T. chocolate chips and shortening in small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at until melted.  Drizzle over top of cheesecake. Cover; refrigerate several hours until cold.







6 comments:

Charlotte (WaltzingM) said...

That looks so good! Can you ship one to me right now? :)

Barbara said...

If I could afford to buy a plane ticket, I'd bring one in person! Hope you are feeling better. ;-)

I'm working on a little gift, but I didn't want to start on it before your little cupcake arrived lest she be the blue variety! It's coming along.

Kristina said...

This looks fantastic. I can't wait to try it. On another note, I'd like to do something for St. Matthew next week (my LO is Matthew). Any ideas?

Anne said...

That looks amazingly delicious! My kind of birthday cake. Yummy!!!!

Karen | Divine Dinner Party said...

What a sweet treat for anybody who's going to have a birthday. I've baked many different kinds of cakes and pies but I always find myself going back to any cheesecake. Classic!

John said...

I can't believe you didn't use my recipe!!! It's triple-layer!! You are in sooo much trouble.