Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Steak Seasoning

.
I can not explain my lack of posting here lately, except I feel pretty yucky and I have no energy. No particular reason except maybe the summer doldrums. I'm also worried about my kids (yeah, who isn't?) and I'm not up to coping well with life. I'm sure it's just a phase and I'm holding out hope that when the first brisk fall wind comes a blowing, I'll perk right up. In the meantime, I'm lying low, doing everything that needs to get done, with a little less oomph.

I will tell you that this steak seasoning perked me up the other night. My third son requested steak for his birthday dinner on Monday -- Filet Mignon, no less. While normally I allow Filet Mignon to stand on its own, I just wanted to jazz it up a smidge. I found this recipe online -- supposedly the seasoning Outback Steakhouse uses. I have never been to Outback, so I have no idea if it is authentic, but it tasted really, really good and jazzed up those filets just right. I altered the recipe I found for less salt and less cayenne and omitted both coriander (which I can't stand) and tumeric (which I didn't have) and doubled it for seven small filets. They were cooked to perfection -- medium -- and very, very tasty. I imagine this seasoning would be tasty even on hamburgers, however. You could mix up a nice big jar and use it on everything you grill.


Steak Seasoning

1 1/2 t. salt
2 t. paprika
1 t. freshly ground black pepper (it's important that it be freshly ground)
1/2 t. onion powder
1/2 t. garlic powder
1/4 t. cayenne pepper
 
Mix all ingredients in a small glass jar or shaker. Sprinkle over both sides of steak before grilling and grill to desired doneness.
.




1 comment:

Linda said...

Barbara, please don't apologize for feeling yucky. The job you have...raising, educating and stressing over 4 kids is a HUGE one. Add to that cooking, cleaning, seeing to the state of their souls, etc....so many people just could not take that on.

I've had my weak times, too. In fact, I've told you about some of them. I think it's your body, mind and spirit saying that you, too, need a vacation from the everyday. You need time for Barbara.

I do miss your more frequent posts, but right now, you must come first. We, out here, will wait patiently until coping comes easily once again.

Love, Linda