Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Grilled Chicken with Caprese Salsa






This was a fabulous, simple dish. I should make it a Summer Supper, but I hesitate to relegate it to "summer only." If you grill at all during the other three months, this dish would be wonderful to have all year long. Cherry, or grape, tomatoes are available at the grocer all year, so why not? All of my children enjoyed it and it was super simple to make. I found the recipe here, but only (roughly) used the salsa recipe. I marinated the chicken in balsamic and olive oil, with a little salt and pepper -- just for a short while.


Grilled Chicken with Caprese Salsa

serves 6


6 medium boneless, skinless chicken breasts (if you have large chicken breasts, slice them in half lengthwise for two better proportioned pieces)
1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar (regular can be used but it will color the chicken dark)
1/4 cup light tasting olive oil
salt and pepper

2 cups halved cherry tomatoes (or quartered if using large grape tomatoes) 
2 cups fresh mozzarella cubes (I used one large ball and diced it in 1/2 inch cubes) 
1/2 cup roughly chopped fresh basil leaves 
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup white balsamic vinegar (I used regular for the salsa because I think it has a richer flavor) 
1-2 garlic cloves, minced (to taste -- I like less)
1 t. kosher salt 
1/2 t. pepper

Mix together the first measures of vinegar and oil. Place chicken in a glass or ceramic dish (or disposable zipper bag) and pour mixture over chicken. Salt and pepper each side. Let sit for 30 minutes or so to marinate.

When ready to grill, preheat grill.

Meanwhile, mix together all salsa ingredients. Let sit at room temperature for a short while (if you make ahead, chill until 30 minutes before serving). 

Grill chicken until done throughout and remove from grill. Serve hot chicken with salsa on top.

Serving suggestions: Roasted corn, sliced watermelon or bing cherries

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I live in Arizona and even though we are still hitting 115 (it is Aug. 31,2011) I cannot wait to make this!

Anonymous said...

I'm SO GLAD you're still here! Yesterday I was getting a message that the site was for sale and I was panicked! What would I (and my family!) do without your recipes!!! Glad whatever it was seems to have been resolved. You're awesome!

Christal said...

This looks *so* good and actually something my insanely picky family would eat! I'll have to put it on the dinner rotation. Thanks!

Abby said...

This looks awesome. Such a great dish for outdoor eating as summer winds down! And it would pack well for the beach and picnics, too.

superfood sisters said...

Looks so good!! We still have cherry tomatoes coming off our plants and always looking for new ways to use them. Thank you! We will have to try this SOON!!