Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Breakfast of Champions

.




The other night when my brother's family was over for dinner, I made a huge pan of this Blueberry Crisp (I added some peaches so it, too). Oh my goodness I do love that dessert, but because my children are incredibly finicky when it comes to fruit desserts -- there is only a small handful they will eat -- I only make this dessert if other adults are coming over to share. Of course, I completely overestimated how much everyone would eat (and since I also made Rice Krispie Treats the kids were not at all tempted) and had half a pan left over.

Thus...I present the Breakfast of Champions. It's fruit, and oats, and cream -- sounds like breakfast to me. Yum.

Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream -- Basic Recipe
1 cup whole milk
3/4 cups granulated sugar
2 cups heavy cream
2 t. pure vanilla extract

In a medium mixing bowl, use a whisk to combine the milk and granulated sugar until the sugar is dissolved, about 1 to 2 minutes.

Stir in the heavy cream and vanilla. Turn the ice cream churner on; pour the mixture into freezer bowl, and let mix until thickened, about 20 to 25 minutes. The ice cream will have a soft, creamy texture. If a firmer consistency is desired, transfer the ice cream to an airtight container and place in freezer for about 2 hours. Remove from freezer about 15 minutes before serving.


.

No comments: