Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Hoagie Dip

.


This week I tried a recipe that has been on my "recipes to try" list on my sidebar for a while. I saw it back at the end of the professional football season -- a suggested Super Bowl dish. When I saw it I knew my boys would love it and they did. I did, too! All of the flavors of a delicious meat hoagie, in the easy to serve and eat form of a dip. I made two loaves of Artisan Bread (in 5 minutes) and sliced one up and used the other to serve.

My version of the dip is maybe what you would call "poor man's" because I used only salami and ham instead of the pricier prosciutto, but I think this dip would be good with almost any meat -- even bologna. I used 1/2 pound of both ham and salami. I think next time I'll had some hot ham for spice, but other than that I wouldn't change a thing. The day after I made it I thought that using it for cold topping on a hot pepperoni pizza would be almost divine, so we'll try that soon -- a sort of pizza sub. Yum!



Hoagie Dip


1/2 purple onion diced
4 pickled pepperoncini peppers drained and diced (I used 8 medium)
1/2 head iceberg lettuce chopped about the size of nickels
1 large tomato, halved, seeded, and diced (I used two)
1/2 pound deli-sliced Genoa salami, sliced and diced
1/2 pound deli-sliced ham, sliced and diced
1/4 pound deli-sliced provolone cheese, sliced and diced
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 T. extra-virgin olive oil
1 T. red wine vinegar
1 t. dried oregano
1/4 t. red pepper flakes
1 10-to-12-inch round loaf of choice, hollowed out
8 hoagie rolls, cut into pieces or halves for spreading dip on (I sliced another loaf of bread)



Combine the chopped vegetables, meats and cheese in a large bowl.

In a small bowl mix the mayonnaise, olive oil, vinegar, oregano, and red pepper flakes and stir until everything is all mixed up.

If you are going to serve within an hour, pour the dressing over the meat/veggie mixture and toss until combined. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

If you are NOT eating it soon,  keep all ingredients refrigerated until about an hour before then toss together so that the lettuce does not get soggy.

Carve out the center of the bread loaf to make a bowl and cut the top piece taken out into bite-size pieces. Serve the hoagie dip in the bread bowl, with the extra bread and hoagie rolls to scoop it up.


Source: modified from The Girl Who Ate Everything

5 comments:

Ashley said...

This sounds like a delicious party food! I am always on the lookout for a good dip, because dip is pretty much my idea of heaven on earth.

Barbara said...

I so agree with you, Ashley. I think any meal could be a "dip" meal!

Kelly said...

This looks delicious! I love hoagies. The only thing is how does this work as a "dip". It's awfully chunky to be a dip. I suppose you would use a spoon to scoop it up and place it on a roll?

...however you would eat it, I know my family would have it gone in no time!

Barbara said...

Using the bread to dip, it was difficult to scoop. We did use a spoon to top our bread. If you were using something more firm, like toasted bread or heavy crackers, dipping would be no trouble.

C Killingsworth said...

Barbara,

This recipe reminds me of something close to what I had on a trip to Germany. I can't wait to try it and see how close it comes. WOW. I haven't thought of that for at least 10 years!