Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Chili con Carne a la Nigella

.

 


I noticed this photo in my iPhoto album the other day and realized I had never posted the recipe. I do that sometimes when I have a lot of recipes at once -- someone always gets left behind (luckily it wasn't one of my kids!).  This was a really yummy recipe, however, and  I'm glad I found it because I need to put it on the menu again. It is modified just a smidge from Nigella Express -- she used coriander in hers, as well as cardamom and I don't like either spice really (I can't stand coriander). The recipe called for 1/2 t. coriander, and three cardamom pods, if you want to add it. The quantities should be an approximation for you, because you want it to taste the way you like it -- if you like more or less spice, more or less beans, whatever, make it your way. We ate it dumped over baked potatoes with some lovely white cheddar shredded on top. Use the cheese you like, or sour cream -- whatever tastes good. It was a very quick dish to make, starting an hour or more ahead for the potatoes, but only spending 30 minutes or so on the chili -- mostly just simmer time.

Note: I sliced open the sausages and dumped the chorizo into the pot with the beef, but if you would rather have pieces, slice it up instead -- it should be the raw chorizo, not smoked). I also doubled the amount for my family.


Quick Chili
 serves 2 to 4


1/3 lb (just over 5 ounces) chorizio sausage
1 lb. ground beef
1/2 t. ground cumin (more or less to taste -- I used more)
1/2 t. ground cinnamon
16 oz. jar good quality tomato & chunky veg sauce for pasta
14 oz. can mixed spicy beans (I used pink chili beans)
1/4 cup sweet chili sauce (found this in the Asian food aisle)
1/4 t. red pepper flakes

Cut the chorizo links open and place in a hot, heavy pan and cook over a medium heat until the sausage crisps a little and gives up its orange-red oil. Add ground beef and cook for about 5 minutes, breaking it up to help it brown.

When beef is browned, stir in the spices and then add the pasta sauce, spicy beans and chilli sauce. Also add chilli flakes if desired.

Bring to the boil and then turn down heat and simmer for 20 minutes.

Serve with shredded cheese or sour cream over baked potatoes.

Source: modified from Nigella Express
.

2 comments:

Deb said...

I thought you were going to mention how you made the potato look like an animal ... look at the end toward the camera: two eyes, a pointy nose, and a smile! Good job! :-)

Barbara said...

I totally never saw that Deb. Too funny!