Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Whey Pancakes

.



Since I started making yogurt every week, I have been saving up the whey that I strain off every morning. I prefer a thicker style yogurt, similar to Greek yogurt, and it only takes about five minutes to strain off enough whey to make the yogurt nice and thick. I hated to waste the whey, however, because it's very high in calcium and protein. I kept a container in the freezer, opening it each morning and adding the whey from my yogurt. After a couple weeks I had enough for pancakes -- sounds like a process, but really, it's nothing. I know there are many things that can be made from yogurt whey, but these pancakes are so good, I don't know if I'll ever try another recipe. Much like buttermilk, the whey makes the pancakes very tender, as well as tasty.

The recipe if from King Arthur Flour. I doubled it and I used all-purpose flour.



Whey Pancakes


2 cups unbleached all-purpose or traditional whole wheat flour or a combination of both
1 to 2 T. sugar, honey, maple syrup (I used 1 T. sugar)
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
2 cups whey
2 large eggs
2 to 4 T. vegetable oil (I used 2 T. corn oil)
 
Mix the dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl.

In a smaller bowl, beat together the whey, eggs and vegetable oil.

Blend the liquid ingredients with the dry taking about 20 seconds. (Don't overdo it. Pancake batter is like muffin batter; a light hand in mixing means a light pancake on the plate.)

Cook on a cast iron skillet, if you have one. 

.

3 comments:

KennQ29 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Shaun said...

oh wow, all this time I have dumped mine, because I didn't even know that it was whey. I just thought it was...I dunno what, like the first squirt from the mustard bottle just sacrificial...lol.. thanks yet again!

Linda said...

And if one doesn't make her own yogurt, is buttermilk the next best thing? :)