Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Queso Blanco


.



Last week we had company over mid-week. I don't usually have dinner guests during the week, but my Goddaughter was in town on business and I wanted to host dinner for her and her beau. It was just a simple dinner of  Chicken Gyro Pizza, but because I wasn't certain when they would arrive, I also prepared an appetizer. I saw this Queso Dip over at Annie's Eats and decided to give it a try. I ended up modifying it because my fresh tomatoes were mushy and tasteless, and I think even during the summer months a can of tomatoes and chilies are a great alternative. The dip is not too spicy, but it probably depends on the heat of your jalapeno and the heat of your can of Ro-Tel tomatoes. I used "Original" which is in the middle of the spicy range.

The Queso was a big hit with everyone -- salty, warm, cheesy -- the best comfort food. The boys really loved it, and we ate the leftovers for lunch -- double duty!


I turned mine from the pan into a small appetizer crock-pot. The cheese dip gets thick quickly once you take it off the heat, so either use a small crock-pot like I did, or only ladle a small amount at a time out of the pot. I found white American cheese at the deli counter of my store -- I just asked them to cut me a one-inch chunk to shred at home.

Queso Blanco


1 T. canola or vegetable oil
¼ cup onion, finely chopped
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
12 oz. white American cheese, shredded
4 oz. Monterey jack cheese, shredded
2/3 cup milk
1 can Ro-Tel tomatoes with chilies, drained well

Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and jalapeño to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes.  Reduce the heat to medium-low.  Add both of the shredded cheeses and half of the milk.  Whisk or stir until completely melted, adding milk as necessary to thin. Add the can of tomatoes and stir until dip is hot again. Transfer to a warmed serving bowl or small crock pot and serve immediately with tortilla chips.

Source: modified from Annie's Eats

.

No comments: