Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Monday, September 13, 2010

Mother's Chocolate Chip Cookies

.




My mother makes the best Chocolate Chip Cookies. I bet your mom does, too. Because no matter what chocolate chip cookie you eat, your mom's always tastes best -- it's what you know best, right?

Well, I've made a lot of chocolate chippers in my day, but I just can't beat my mother's. Hers are crisp and rich and have that je ne sais pas that makes them hers. Well, actually, I do know what that je ne sais pas is (so I guess it's not so unknown) -- dark brown sugar and Imperial margarine. You may think those don't seem like such unusual ingredients, but I have tried this recipe forwards and backwards and those two ingredients provide the je ne sais pas. If you don't like your chocolate chippers crisp, this may not be the cookie for you, but I can tell you that you can substitute 1/2 Crisco and half butter for the margarine and you'll get a softer cookie, without the crisp middle.

Mother's Chocolate Chip Cookies
makes 36-48 depending on scoop size

printer version


2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
2 sticks Imperial brand margarine (1 c. total)
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 t. vanilla
2 eggs
12 oz . chocolate chips
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional, but yummy)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Cream margarine and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until well combined. Add vanilla. Add dry ingredients and beat just until well combined. Add chocolate chips and nuts, if desired and stir until well mixed. Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls (or use a medium cookie scoop) onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown.

.

No comments: