Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Friday, September 24, 2010

Cinnamon Sugar Biscotti



A girlfriend requested a recipe from me this week, which made me realize I had never posted it here. I can't imagine how I could have forgotten to post about these yummy cookies.

We love biscotti in my house -- we're big dunkers and biscottis are just begging to be dunked. We're also big cinnamon toast eaters, so these bisciotti were just made for us. The recipe is so simple -- easier than cookies, truly. The flavor is so sweet and cinnamony, and the texture crunchy, but not rock hard. Yum! These are the perfect cookie for a fine, cool, autumn day -- if it would ever cool down around here.

The recipe came from Joy the Baker. I pretty much followed the recipe except I made my logs larger (making two instead of four) and I kept an eye on them while they were baking and pulled them out early in the first bake -- before they got too dark.


Cinnamon Sugar Biscotti
about 24 cookies

printer version

2 cups flour

1 1/2 t. ground cinnamon

1 t. baking powder

1/4 t. salt

1 cup granulated sugar

6 Tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature

1 egg

1 egg yolk

1 t. vanilla


For Topping:

1/4 cup granulated sugar

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1 beaten egg (for brushing biscotti before baking)


Preheat oven to 325 degrees F and arrange two baking racks in the upper portion of the oven. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.


In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking powder and salt. Set aside.


Also whisk together the cinnamon and sugar for the topping and set aside.


In the bowl of a stand mixer, fit with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Scrape down the down and beat in the egg followed by the egg yolk. Beat in the vanilla extract.


Add the dry ingredients to the creamed butter all at once. With the mixer or just with a spatula, bring all of the ingredients together until a somewhat stiff dough is formed.


Divide the dough in two and put each half on a baking sheet. Shape each half of dough into a log, about 1-1/2 to 2 inches wide, flattening slightly. Brush with the beaten egg and sprinkle very generously with cinnamon sugar. Bake the two sheets on two different racks in the oven for 20 minutes. Rotate the cookie sheets for even baking and bake for 20-25 more minutes until golden and firm to the touch (mine were starting to get too dark during the second half of the first bake, so I pulled them out early).


Remove from the oven but keep the oven on. Let biscotti cool until able to handle. Using a serrated knife, cut logs into 1/2-inch wide diagonal slices. Place biscotti cut side down on baking sheet and sprinkle with more cinnamon sugar. Bake again until pale golden, about 10-15 minutes.

Store in an airtight container for up to one week.

2 comments:

Charlotte (WaltzingM) said...

OH no you didn't!!! Did you just give me ANOTHER fabulous biscotti recipe to try? My backside is not lovin' you, but I am! : )

Katy said...

Mmmm...I LOVE biscotti! I have a cranberry/almond recipe that I used to make all the time! I'll have to try this one.