Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Saturday, August 7, 2010

S'more Bars






I have to apologize that it took me a whole week to share these little lovelies with you. I made them last Sunday and I have, honestly, been thinking about them since the last one was consumed sometime in the hours after I went to bed Sunday and when I awoke Monday. They didn't even have a chance to be my breakfast on Monday morning. Drats! My oldest teenage son has an enormous appetite and sweets left untended during the night are gone by morning.

It was probably for the better because one bar after dinner gave me heartburn. Paired with black coffee in the morning, it would surely have been trouble, albeit worth every nibble. These bars are just as good as a true-blue s'more, maybe better. The crust has the flavor of a s'more, but with added buttery goodness. The melted chocolate stays pretty gooey even after they cool, and the marshmallow bakes up and gets just a little bit sticky -- perfect texture.

I had a little trouble getting the top crust right, and in fact, the marshmallow oozed up through the cracks in it. Christy at The Girl Who Ate Everything (where I found this gem) patted her top crust onto parchment and then transferred it to the bars. I, in my usual impatience, could not be bothered, so I sort of pressed walnut-size pieces flat with my palm and then placed them carefully on top of the marshmallow. The cracks, however, allowed the marshmallow to ooze. That was not really enough of a negative thing for me to alter my method next time. However, if you want a pretty top on your bars, you better do what Christy did. I was not able to find jumbo Hershey bars at my grocer (we -- jokingly --call my discount grocer the Communist grocer because you get what you get), so I used four regular bars. I would do the same again so my change is noted below.


S'more Bars
16 bars

Printer version

1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
4 regular-size Hershey bars
1 1/2 cups marshmallow creme/fluff (7 1/2 oz jar)


Preheat oven to 350°F.

Grease an 8-inch square baking pan.

In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light. Beat in egg and vanilla. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder and salt. Add to butter mixture and mix at a low speed until combined.

Divide dough in half and press half of dough into an even layer on the bottom of the prepared pan. Place chocolate bars over dough. Spread chocolate with marshmallow creme or fluff. Place remaining dough in a single layer on top of the fluff. (I pressed walnut-size pieces flat in my palm and placed them over the marshmallow. Try to get them to meet so the marshmallow does not ooze up.)

Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until lightly browned. Cool completely before cutting into bars.
Makes 16 cookie bars.




.

No comments: