Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Tostada Pizza





.




If you have followed this blog for long you probably have noticed that we eat a lot of pizza. The funny thing is, I really don't like pizza that much. At least not the "plain" kind with sauce and cheese and maybe some pepperoni. I'll eat it, but it's not my fave.

Now, take the same dough and spread some pesto, or spicy barbecue sauce or even a layer of tasty black beans, add some grilled chicken or fresh tomatoes or, how 'bout some lettuce? Then we're talking. That's not really pizza to me, it's just a meal on a flat bread.
That I love.

This last weekend we had Tostada Pizza. I've made it a few times and I think I'm finally ready to share. I mixed it up a little on Saturday and made it on the grill instead of heating up the house, but I'm writing the recipe as if I made it in the oven, because the other times I made it, I baked it in the oven. (If you'd like to learn how to make pizza on the grill, be sure to let me know.) I have also made this pizza without the chicken for a meatless Friday. It was just as yummy, but my guys, they like meat, so I usually add chicken.

I originally enjoyed this pizza at CPK, but it's such an easy dish to make at home -- there's no reason to pay high restaurant prices. You can also find a similar recipe in the CPK Pizza cookbook, but like many of their recipes, it's kind of long and involved and uses many ingredients that I feel are unnecessary to the finished product. Just keep it simple. I happened to have some black beans in my freezer left over from this dish, but if I hadn't, I would make my own with canned beans. I'm posting the recipe below.

In the pizza pictured above, I forgot to use the tortilla strips. They would normally go on top of the lettuce before you drizzle the Ranch dressing. They are a yummy addition, so don't forget them. While you could certainly fry your own, I don't find it's worth the time and mess involved and I use these.




Before topping with salad ingredients.




Tostada Pizza
serves 6

printer-friendly version


recipe for pizza dough (below)
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
juice of one lime
1/2 t. Worchestershire sauce
1 1/2 t. Soy sauce
1 t. honey
pinch cumin
pinch cayenne pepper
2 T. olive oil
recipe for black beans (below) or your favorite recipe -- you'll need about 2 cups (more or less to taste)
2 cups cheese (I use 1 cup Monterey Jack and Cheddar blended and 1 cup Mozzarella)
4 cups shredded Romain lettuce
1 cup diced tomatoes
1/4 cup diced red onion or scallions
1/3 cup creamy Ranch dressing (I use this)
1 cup fried tortilla strips (I use these)
salsa for serving (optional)

Combine lime juice with Worcestershire, soy sauce, honey, cumin, cayenne and olive oil. Pour over chicken breasts in a shallow dish and allow to marinate at room temp for about 30 minutes. Preheat grill, then grill chicken until done (you could broil it as well). Remove chicken from grill and allow to cool slightly. Cut each piece into 3/4-inch dice.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Grease a large round pizza pan or a large jelly roll pan. Press pizza dough on pan to edges. (
My technique can be seen here. If dough doesn't give easily when you first begin, let it rest for five minutes and try again. If you try to force it, you'll just end up ripping it.) Spread beans from edge to edge, using as much of the bean mixture as you like (I like a lot). Top with chicken pieces and then cheese. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes until cheese is melted and bottom of crust is golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes. Cut into squares or pie-shaped pieces. Then, top with lettuce, tomatoes, onion and tortilla strips. Drizzle with Ranch dressing. Serve with salsa, if desired.



Quick Black Beans

printer-friendly version

1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can Rotel tomatoes with chilies, drained (I use original flavor and save a little of the liquid for cooking)
1 T. olive oil
2 cloves garlic
1 t. cumin
1/2 t. oregano
salt and pepper to taste

Heat a small saucepan over medium heat. Add oil and garlic and heat until garlic is warm and fragrant. Add beans and Rotel tomatoes, and a little of the tomato liquid or water. Simmer for about ten minutes, adding more liquid if necessary to keep beans from drying out. Add cumin, oregano and salt and pepper and cook for a few minutes until beans are rather soft.


Pizza Dough

printer-friendly version

1 cup warm water
1 T. olive oil
1 T. sugar
1 1/4-ounce packet yeast (or 2 t.)
2 ½ cups flour
1 t. salt


Place water in a bowl and add sugar. Sprinkle yeast over the surface and allow to sit for 10 minutes (until it foams). Add the oil, 2 cups of flour and salt, and mix until smooth. Knead with dough hook for 3-5 minutes (or 7 minutes by hand) adding flour as necessary to keep dough from sticking. Place in greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise for 30 minutes to an hour, until doubled.


.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Something to try this fall when it's a bit cooler out =) My kids wouldn't like the lettuce. We're just not there yet with the salads and veggies. Ugh.) But perhaps I could make them a more traditional one and for myself (my husband and mom) the one with all the fixings ...

Anne said...

This sounds DELICIOUS!!

Deb said...

Those look wonderful! Blessings!

Barbara said...

Thanks, Sarah. Just keep trying. Faith started eating out of my salad bowl early and she's a big salad eater. The boys not so much, but they do love this pizza!

Thanks, Anne.

Thanks, Deb. And thanks for stopping by.