Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Friday, April 9, 2010

Tuna Noodle

.


Tuna Noodle Casserole is probably among one of the most commonly prepared American dishes, especially for those of us who eat meatless on Fridays. My family probably eats it six times a year, which, for my family, is frequent (I know -- we're not normal). I made it for us to eat for Good Friday dinner and my kids said I should put the recipe on my blog -- I guess they are contributing editors!

This is one of the few recipes I have in which I actually use the called-for can of "cream of" soup. I usually substitute a homemade white sauce when a recipe list includes a can of soup, but I must say I don't think this recipe would be the same without it. I use the Campbell's 98% Fat-Free version -- not that it's a low-fat dish, but every little bit helps. I vary my topping -- this last time I used some Keebler Onion crackers and they provided a very tasty topping, but I usually use whatever is in the pantry -- Cheez-its, Ritz crackers, Goldfish crackers -- it's all good.




Tuna Noodle
6-8 servings

Printer version

8 oz. wide egg noodles
12 oz. canned albacore tuna, drained and flaked (leaving some chunks)
can Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup (low fat or regular -- I wouldn't go low salt)
1/2 t. seasoning salt (I use Lawry's)
3/4 c. milk
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup finely crushed cracker crumbs
3 T. butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Heat a large pot of water to boil and cook egg noodles to al dente. Drain and return to pot; let sit for a minute. Add tuna, soup, seasoning salt and milk and stor to combine. Add cheese and stir to melt the cheese (at this point I taste a noodle to check for adequate seasoning -- add more seasoning salt if needed).

Place noodle mixture in a greased casserole dish (I use a round because I like my casserole to stay moist. If you like yours to get crunchy, use an oblong or rectangular dish.)

Heat butter in a small skillet until melted. Add cracker crumbs and stir until moistened. Sprinkle over casserole. Bake at 350 for 20 to 30 minutes just until middle is hot and top is crunchy.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So happy to see the pics print with the recipes. Thanks so much! You have some wonderful "comfort food" recipes and can't beat that! Blessins to you!