Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Friday, January 29, 2010

Steak Diane

.



I have so many good recipes to share with you lately, I just hate that I don't have time to share them. I'll keep taking pictures, though, and get recipes up when I can.

This recipe for Steak Diane was a real unexpected treat. I think I've mentioned before that my husband loves beef. His grandpa was a butcher, and owned his own grocery store, and I think my husband grew up eating some pretty good meat. He often asks for steak for dinner, but unless it's a special occasion, he doesn't usually get it. Last week when I was planning my menu, I decided to put some nice steak on Sunday's menu, and he was as excited as a little boy.

I had never made Steak Diane before, so this was a new recipe and a new technique. We usually just throw steak on the grill, but this recipe was actually easier than putting steak on the grill, if you can believe it, and I enjoyed it so much more. The process goes quickly, though, so I recommend having all your sides ready in advance. My Garlic Mashed Potatoes were done, and my asparagus was roasting in the oven -- it was done just as the steak finished. You'll also want to get all of your ingredients together and have them next to the stove. Your steaks are going to be sitting on a platter while you make the sauce, so you want to move fast.

Even though the recipe calls for beef tenderloin steaks, you won't spend an arm and a leg on it. The cut should be small -- about 5 oz. each at the most. And because it's the tenderloin, the meat is very lean, and thus low in fat.

The recipe is from Cooking Light and I followed it exactly. I wouldn't change a thing. It's simple and delicious.



Steak Diane

1/2 t. salt, divided
1/4 t. black pepper
6 (4-ounce) beef tenderloin steaks, trimmed (about 1 inch thick)
1 t. butter
1/2 c. finely chopped shallots
1/3 c. water
2 T. Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 T. fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 T. dry sherry
2 T. chopped fresh parsley

Heat a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon salt and black pepper evenly over steaks. Add steaks to pan; cook 4 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness.


Remove from pan; cover and keep warm (if you have something in the oven --put the meat on the stovetop in the back so the heat will keep it warm).




Have ingredients ready when you start. O.k., that's a little more than 1 teaspoon butter. I put all the liquids together in a measuring cup because they all go in the pan at the same time.


Melt butter in pan over medium heat. Add shallots, and cook 2 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add water and remaining ingredients, stirring with a whisk. Reduce heat, and simmer 1 minute. Stir in the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Spoon sauce over steaks, and sprinkle with parsley.


Source: Cooking Light

Printer Version

Nutritional Information from Cooking Light

Calories: 197 (40% from fat)
Fat: 8.7g (sat 3.3g,mono 3.3g,poly 0.3g)
Protein: 24.2g
Carbohydrate: 3.8g
Fiber: 0.1g
Cholesterol: 73mg
Iron: 3.5mg
Sodium: 312mg
Calcium: 18mg

No comments: