Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Saturday, December 26, 2009

Cheesy Grits and Sausage

.
To go with our Cheese Braids at brunch yesterday, I made a casserole of Cheesy Grits and Sausage. It was soooo good. It was a heart attack on a plate, but it was soooo good. I told my eldest son we could not eat it more than once a year. Maybe twice -- I could make it for Easter and Christmas.

The recipe came
(again) from Southern Living magazine, and I followed the recipe almost precisely. I admit I cut some of the cheese out -- all the fat was really making me nervous. I almost used half the sausage, but I'm glad I didn't because the consistency would not have been the same. Fortunately we ate small servings and I have half saved for another breakfast, probably tomorrow. I doubled up on my fish oil to help my poor arteries. I'm guessing I cut back to two cups of cheese, which was completely sufficient. I also added a 1/2 t. hot pepper flakes, but if you use spicy sausage you wouldn't need that. I used the make-ahead prep directions and used the delay-bake feature on my oven so that the casserole would be ready when we walked in the door from morning Mass.



Cheesy Grits and Sausage

2 lbs. mild ground pork sausage (or half mild and half spicy)
1/2 t. hot pepper flakes
4 c. water
1 1/4 c. quick-cooking grits, uncooked
2 c. shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1 c. milk
1/2 t. dried thyme
1/8 t. garlic powder
4 large eggs, lightly beaten

Brown sausage in a large skillet, stirring until it crumbles; add red pepper flakes when sausage is almost done. Drain well, and set aside.

Bring water to a boil in a large saucepan, and stir in grits. Return to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; add cheese and next 3 ingredients, stirring until cheese melts. Stir in sausage and eggs.

Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 13" x 9" x 2" baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour or until golden and heated. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Garnish, if desired.

Make-Ahead: Prepare grits mixture as directed above, but do not bake. Cover and chill overnight. Remove from refrigerator; let stand, covered 30 minutes. Uncover and bake as directed.

.

1 comment:

Abby said...

We call this Southern Grits Casserole. I always reduce the butter and cheese in mine (sausage, too, for that matter.) I've never added garlic and hot pepper to it. Love that idea.