Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Thursday, November 12, 2009

Buttermilk Pancakes

.

My husband is a pancake connoisseur, aka picky pancake eater. He and I differ on what we prefer in a pancake. I like cakey (I think that's why they are called pan
cakes) and he likes thin, almost crepey. Of course, it all boils down to what we grew up with. His mom made thin and crepey, and my mom made thick and cakey. It's hard to make a pancake that pleases both of us. And after almost 24 years of marriage I still had not found the one, until last week.

Alton Brown came through for us.

My Georgia Peach friend Sara posted a while back that her kids had made the best pancakes using Alton Brown's recipe, so with pancakes on the dinner menu, I went looking for Alton's recipe. He had a few, but I chose the buttermilk variety because I do believe buttermilk was made for pancakes (those cows know what they're doing). Doug declared them the best pancakes he ever had and I don't think he was just saying that because when I told him it was Alton's recipe he sort of cheered like he had not really dealt me a compliment by saying they were good -- he was really giving Alton a compliment. He was kind of spunky that night.

I thought they were awfully good too -- not completely melt-in-your-mouth cakey, but definitely tender and very tasty. So I bring you Alton's recipe -- you can also add blueberries if you like (add them to each cake after you pour the batter onto the griddle), but we are pancake purists -- just butter and syrup please.




Buttermilk Pancakes
serves 4 - 6

2 c. all-purpose flour
1/4 c. sugar
21/4 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
2 eggs
2 c. buttermilk
1/4 c. melted unsalted butter, plus some for frying


In a large bowl sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

Beat the eggs with the buttermilk and melted butter. Combine the dry and the wet ingredients into a lumpy batter, being careful not to over mix, see A.B.'s note below.

Heat some butter in a skillet over medium heat. Spoon 1/3 cup of batter into the skillet. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side.

Alton Brown's Note: Over-mixed batter will result in flat, heavy pancakes.



.

1 comment:

Sara said...

Next, you have to make them with your homemade yogurt instead of buttermilk.

Cracks me up every time TMax makes one of Alton's recipes and he imitates Alton, "Just walk away! Just walk away!" to prevent overmixing.