Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Autumn Sangria



When I have a large crowd over, I like to have a House cocktail. It saves having a stocked bar, which I don't like to have with lots of teens around -- and almost all of the children in our family are teens now. (You never know when one of them will get a stupid idea.) So I create a House adult beverage (and we always have beer) that, usually, the women enjoy before the meal. In the summer I often make Sangria, either white or red, or another fruity drink.

For Thanksgiving, I wanted to create a Sangria that had a more autumnal or winter taste. I saw a recipe in a magazine recently, but when I went looking for it I could find nothing more than a memory. But that's o.k. Sangria isn't rocket science. I used dried fruits instead of fresh peaches and berries as I would in the summer, because I wanted a heavier taste. And I use a decent bottle of wine (one I would drink), but not something expensive, because it won't taste like it did straight out of the bottle.



Autumn Sangria

1 bottle merlot
1 c. orange juice (a quality orange juice)
1/4 c. honey
6 prunes
1/4 c. raisins and dried cherries -- or another favorite dried fruit
4 cinnamon sticks
1 apple, sliced
apples, oranges, sliced (optional decoration)
ginger ale

Combine wine with juice, honey, fruit and cinnamon sticks. Refrigerate, covered, at least 8 hours, as long as a few days. Strain liquid into a pitcher and add more apple and orange slices if desired -- it's really just decoration. Serve over ice (or straight up if you like) with a splash of ice cold ginger ale.


.

No comments: