Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Convenience Meat

.


The last time I went grocery shopping, I bought an extra three or four pounds of ground beef because it was on sale. I used part of it for hamburgers, and while I was making them, I just kept on making them. I eventually used up all the ground meat into little quarter-or-so pound patties. I used to do this all the time but had gotten out of the habit. It's a good habit to be in.

When I form all the ground beef into patties, I can use them for burgers -- I just have to thaw them, season them, and throw them on the grill. Or I can just pull four patties out of the freezer and thaw them for a pound of beef to use in meatloaf or meatballs or tacos, etc. The meat thaws much quicker in patty form, so if I forget to take it out early in the day, it takes only an hour or so to have thawed meat.

Take a pound of ground meat (or if you have a two- or three-pound package first divide into two or three parts) and divide into approximate quarters. Form each quarter into a patty and place waxed paper or parchment in between. Place four in a quart size
freezer ziploc bag or eight in a gallon size freezer ziploc bag and freeze.

.

1 comment:

Crafty P said...

what! no comments? That is a sensational tip and I can't believe I've never done that one. i recently just started portioning fresh chicken to freeze in bags with the marinade. what a difference that makes- the meat thaws and marinates and is so tender and flavorific!

I'll be doing this with ground meat the next time I buy it... which will be soon.