Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Sunday, July 19, 2009

Boston Cream Pie

.


I hope that you'll forgive my lack of decent recipe posts lately. I'm feeling very summery -- not that I'm not cooking, but that's about all I'm doing. That and reading. I guess I'm saying I'm being lazy these days. But that's what summer is all about. Right?

Maybe you'll forgive me with this post. This recipe is a gem. I can't claim it as my own, but I did find it for you didn't I? And I tested it for you, didn't I? Trust me. It's a gem -- in the summer, winter, spring or fall. The recipe, which I swiped from Smells Like Home, apparently originated at the Parker House Hotel in Boston. Or at least that's what Tara said. All I know is this was an awesome cake/pie/dessert. The cake (you know I love scratch cake) was dense and moist and the cream was rich and vanillay (o.k. that's my word). It's a wonderful version of that age-old recipe. Like Tara, I doubled the custard. I couldn't fit all of it on, and as you can see from the picture it was oozing out when I cut it, but I think it needs more than one recipe. So I doubled it in the instructions and you can eat the leftover custard (pleeease don't waste it).

For a lower fat version, see my comments below. With the alternate ingredients there was no discernible difference between the lower and higher fat cream pies.

Boston Cream Pie

White Cake

2 c. all-purpose flour
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1/4 c. shortening
1/4 c. butter or margarine, softened
1 1/2 t. vanilla
1 1/4 c. buttermilk or sour milk
4 egg whites (reserve egg yolks for filling)

Grease and flour two 9-inch cake pans. Preheat oven to 350ยบ degrees F.

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large mixer bowl. Add shortening, butter or margarine, vanilla and buttermilk or sour milk. Blend on low speed of mixer then beat on 2 minutes on medium speed. Add egg whites and beat 2 additional minutes. Pour into cake pans and bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Cool for ten minutes; remove from pans.

Cream Filling

2/3 c. sugar
1/4 c. cornstarch
1/4 t. salt
3 c. milk
4 egg yolks
2 T. butter
1 1/2 t. vanilla

Combine sugar, cornstarch and salt in saucepan. Gradually add milk and egg yolks; blend well. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture boils; boil and stir for 1 minute. Remove from heat; blend in butter and vanilla. Pour into a bowl through a sieve. Chill. (I poured my cream into a 13 x 9 pan and placed a piece of wax paper directly onto the pudding; then I placed it in the freezer for about 15 to 20 minutes. Don't forget about it!)

Place one cake onto cake plate. Spoon as much pudding as you can onto one cake layer (eat the rest!); carefully top with remaining layer. Prepare Cocoa Glaze.

Cocoa Glaze

3 T. water
2 T. butter
1/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 c. confectioners’ sugar
1/2 t. vanilla

Combine water and butter in small saucepan. Bring to full boil; remove from heat and immediately add cocoa. Stir to blend well (mixture leaves side of pan and forms a ball). Add confectioners’ sugar and vanilla. Beat until smooth – whisk if necessary. (You will need to beat the mixture very well for it to liquefy. I added a few more teaspoons of hot water to get it just right.) Pour onto top of cake allowing some to drizzle down sides. Chill thoroughly before serving.

* For a lower fat version, substitute 4 T. low-fat mayonnaise for the shortening, and low-fat buttermilk (or low fat soured milk) in the cake and use 1% milk in the pudding. Use 1 T. butter in both the pudding and the glaze. Add more hot water if needed in the glaze.



.



No comments: