Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Monday, May 11, 2009

Korean Barbecue Wet Rub

.

I only have a minute today, but I wanted to quickly post the recipe I used last night for dinner. I bought a beef tenderloin and used a Korean Barbecue Wet Rub on it to feed dinner to my family, my mom and my brother, and my husband's parents. I don't often buy an entire beef tenderloin -- usually about $60 worth of meat. My gang just consumes meat without tasting it (they're like big dogs) and $13.99 a pound is just obscene when you don't appreciate every morsel (actually I think $13.99 a pound is obscene even if you do taste every morsel, but that's another conversation). But, Giant Eagle had Australian grass-fed beef tenderloins on sale for $6 a pound last week. I don't know what the hitch was, but the beef tasted great and the texture, even on the well-done pieces, was like butter. I bought a 5.25 pound piece and all but about two tiny steaks was eaten.

I am posting the recipe exactly as it appeared on myrecipes.com, but just in case they move the recipe, I want to keep a record of it here. I doubled the recipe and used almost all the rub for my tenderloin. I cut the meat into three large pieces, so there would be more ends for those who like their beef well done. This rub would be great on steaks and kabobs and pork tenderloin. I'm not sure I would like it on chicken, but I may give it a try just to see. My husband did the grilling and he said he tried to keep the meat on one side of the grill while the burners on the other side were on -- he was afraid the sugar in the rub would burn. It took about 45 minutes to cook the meat to medium in the very centers and done on the edges.



Korean Barbecue Wet Rub

1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 t. salt
2 t. low-sodium soy sauce
2 t. dark sesame oil
4 garlic cloves, minced

Combine all ingredients. Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 1 week.

.


2 comments:

Margaret in Minnesota said...

Thank you for this post, Barbara. The line "They're like big dogs" is sure to be the highlight of my day.

Barbara said...

They really are like big dogs, Margaret. I kid you not. They just inhale it without chewing. Just you wait, 'enry 'iggins, just you wait!