Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Recipe Review -- Bavarian Pot Roast

.

Those girls over at Mennonite Girls Can Cook are some awesome cooks. It would really be much easier to just get an invitation to dinner, but short of that, I'll take their recipes. Good stuff -- everything we've tried so far.

This Bavarian Pot Roast, however, was over-the-top good, at least for this German girl. I prepared it on Sunday and we had Doug's parents over. Since we had company, I didn't get any pictures, so you'll just have to trust me. It was reeaallly good. Everyone enjoyed it, even the kids.

We had plans to attend Mass at 2 in the afternoon, so I started it in the morning. It was simple to put together, and it cooked for several hours before I stuck it in the refrigerator while we went to Mass (it probably would have been fine sitting out, but I'm kind of neurotic about food-borne illness, so I didn't take any chances). When we came home, I put it back in the oven, and then while I baked the bread, I put it on the stove on med-low.

The roast was cooked perfectly, and the vegetables were just right. The secret "wow" to this recipe, however is not the carrots, nor the beef -- it's the pickles and the gravy. I can't really describe it, I'm sorry. All I can say is, it's wonderful. Doug and I, and his parents, love a German dish called Rouladen. Rouladen is very time consuming to prepare, and this roast tastes just like Rouladen, without the work. Maybe that's why it tasted so good -- it was easy! This recipe will most definitely become a family favorite for us. I made it exactly the way the recipe is written, except I used two smaller bottom round roasts (buy one get one at Giant Eagle last week), probably totaling 3.5 pounds, and I doubled the carrots because we like carrots.


.

No comments: