Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Friday, February 13, 2009

Sweet and Sour Chicken


I promised I'd post this recipe this week, and I'm squeezing it in before I get to my weekly menu. This is a really yummy version of Sweet and Sour Chicken, and I think pretty authentic, at least as far as American-Chinese goes. It does not involve an unnatural red sauce, which is a plus in my book. It does involve ketchup, so if you're a purest with ingredients, better keep moving. Ketchup doesn't bother me much.

One of my boys is a real fan of all things Chinese and this is one of his favorite recipes. He eats about three portions -- it's that teenage boy hollow leg thing. It takes a while to make, because you have to fry the chicken in smallish batches, but it's worth it when someone you love enjoys it so much.

I think I got the recipe way back when I was a new bride, from an international cookbook, but I've altered it so much over the years, I think it's mine now.




Sweet and Sour Chicken

1 egg, beaten
1 T. soy sauce
1 T. dry sherry
1 t. sesame oil
½ t. salt
4 chicken breast halves, cut in 1"pieces

2 T. cornstarch
¼ cup ketchup
¼ cup red wine vinegar
1 T. soy sauce
½ cup chicken broth
½ cup pineapple juice
¼ cup sugar
4 carrots, sliced crosswise
1 red pepper, diced in 1" pieces
15 oz pineapple, drained (reserve juice, above)

½ cup flour
½ cup cornstarch
2 cups oil + 1 T.

Mix together egg, 1 T. soy sauce, sherry, oil and salt.
Add chicken and stir.
Refrigerate 30 minutes or more.

Dissolve cornstarch in red wine vinegar and
mix with chicken broth, sugar, pineapple juice, ketchup and 1 T. soy sauce.
Set side.

Preheat 2 cups oil in wok at 375.
Mix 1/2 c. flour with 1/2 c. cornstarch.
Drain chicken and dredge in flour mixture in small batches
(about one quarter of the chicken at a time)
Fry chicken in hot oil, in small batches, until lightly golden browned
and done in the middle.
Remove chicken from oil and drain on paper towels.

When all the chicken is cooked,
drain oil from wok and wipe with a paper towel.
Add 1 T. oil and heat over high heat.
Stir fry vegetables for 1 to 3 minutes until slightly softened.
Add chicken, pineapple, and sauce.
Cook until sauce is thickened.

Serve with white or brown rice, or Chinese noodles.


.

No comments: