Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Saturday, October 4, 2008

Applesauce Molasses Cake

.

I uploaded some pictures from my camera today and I had a few I had forgotten about, including this cake. We have nice, new neighbors next door, and last week I baked two of these cakes, one for the neighbors, and one for us. This is one of my husband's favorite cakes, and my kids love it too. Actually everyone in the family loves it -- my father-in-law has indulged as well. I also frequently take it to the church festival cake walk because it's nice contract to all those brightly colored and chocolate cakes.

The taste and texture of this cake is really more like a gingerbread than apple cake. The addition of the molasses gives it the unique gingerbread flavor, and the absence of eggs keeps it dense, but very moist. I usually serve it unfrosted with a dollop of whipped cream, but since I was making one for the neighbors, I frosted it with an easy confectioner's sugar glaze. Very yummy.




Applesauce Molasses Cake

1 cup sugar
½ cup shortening
1½ cups applesauce
2 T. molasses
2 cups flour
1 t. baking soda
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. ground cloves
½ t. salt
1 cup raisins (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Grease and flour a bundt or ring pan.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, spices and salt.
Set aside.
In a large bowl, cream the sugar and shortening until fluffy.
Add molasses and applesauce and mix in.
Gradually add the flour mixture and beat to moisten.
Fold in raisins, if desired.
Pour into prepared pan.
Bake for 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted into middle comes out clean.
Cake will not rise to the top of the pan.
Cool for 10 minutes and remove cake from pan to wire rack.
Cool completely before glazing.

Glaze
2 T. butter melted
2 cups confectioner's sugar
2 to 3 T. half and half

Place melted butter in a bowl.
Add confectioner's sugar and whisk.
Add 2 T. half and half or milk and whisk.
Add more half and half if needed and whisk until mixture
is runny enough to drizzle on cake,
but not so runny that it will run right off.


.

No comments: