Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Weekly Menu

.

You may have noticed that I took a week off from menu planning. We had the big grad party last weekend, and between planning and cooking, and not knowing just how many leftovers there would be, I decided not to plan for the week. It was a nice reminder as to why I plan. I hate wondering every day "what will we have for dinner?" I hate trying to figure out what I can make with the ingredients I have on hand. I'd much rather spend an hour a week planning, and an hour or so every week shopping, than time everyday wondering and figuring.

So, back to the menu. Father's Day is Sunday. I think my menu is rather typical for a summer holiday, but it's what the man wants. We have a graduation party to go to sometime during the hours of 5 to 8 on Sunday, but Doug doesn't want to have dinner there (who plans a graduation party for Father's Day anyway?). We may have a really early dinner and really late dessert, but we'll see.

On Saturday I'm going to try something new. My mother bought me an all-appetizer cookbook and I think we'll have munchie night. Maybe a movie, too. I know the kids will enjoy it - it's always more fun to snack for dinner than have a real meal.
I will say though, the recipes from the cookbook my mom bought me do not look to be the greatest, so I'll give a few a try and then put it in the back of the cabinet if they're not good.

The rest of the week is casual summer dining. Leave me a comment if you want a recipe for something you see.

Saturday
Lunch: Skyline Chili
Dinner: Beef Empanadas (the recipe I'm using is very close to this one), Mini Taco Quiches (the recipe in my book is identical to this one -- I'll use my homemade taco seasoning), California Quesadillas (just like this recipe), Crunchy Paprika Chickpeas

Sunday
Brunch: Six Thumbs Up Brunch
Dinner: BBQ Ribs, Mustard Potato Salad, Cucumber Tomato Salad (we're living dangerously!)
Strawberry Shortcake

Monday
Lunch: Cheese Quesadillas
Dinner: BLT and C Salad, bread
I've had a hankerin' for this salad for a few weeks. You may notice that I'm using tomatoes again, and right now I'm not even sure what the stores have, so this menu item may change.

Tuesday
Lunch: Ham Cubans
Dinner: Scrambled Egg Burritos with Tex Mex Salad, fruit

Wednesday
Lunch: Turkey Wraps
Dinner: Hamburgers, Oven Fries, fruit salad

Thursday
Lunch: we're having friends over for lunch and I'm not sure what's on the menu yet
Dinner: Sausage Kabobs, Pepper and Cashew Pasta Salad, fruit
I serve the cashews on the side of this pasta salad, so we can all enjoy.

Friday
Lunch: Cheese and Bean Nachos
Dinner: Zucchini and Tomato Pasta, bread, salad
For this recipe, I'll use canned plum tomatoes.

* Tried and true
* New to me
.

No comments: