Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Sunday, March 9, 2008

Pork Scaloppine

.



As promised, I'm posting my Pork Scaloppine recipe from this past week. Scaloppine is from the French word escalope, meaning thin slices of meat. In this recipe you take a small amount of meat that you pound thin, batter it with an egg and cheese batter and quick-fry it. This recipe is a much like the popular Veal Scaloppine, but I don't eat veal.

There is no sauce for this particular dish. We eat the pork with a squeeze of lemon and with buttered spaghetti or mashed potatoes on the side, which tastes great to me. I like simpler tastes.
The kids love this dish too, again because it's simple. Doug complains because he likes "gravy" but he has no trouble eating loads of it. I'm sure you could serve with with a marinara sauce or a piccata sauce, if you like gravy too.

The great thing about this recipe is that it seems like a lot of meat, but it isn't. You can use pork chops (buy boneless or cut the bone away yourself), a small piece of pork loin roast, pork cutlets (which you wouldn't have to pound), or as I did, pork sirloin chops. The pounding tenderizes the meat, and you don't cook it long so it doesn't toughen. While I didn't label this a budget dish, it could definitely be an inexpensive meal if you buy pork on sale. I bought sirloin chops for $1.79 a pound. That's a pretty cheap meal for me.

You'll find this meal comes together really fast. I serve some broccoli on the side; after I steam it, I drain it and then I cook it quickly with some hot olive oil, crushed garlic and a little (1/2 t.) hot pepper flakes -- then a squeeze of lemon when it's done. Sort of a Broccoli Arrabiata -- yum.



Pork Scaloppine
Printer version

1½ lb. pork loin roast
4 lrg. eggs
¼ cup milk
½ cup grated Romano cheese
1½ t. garlic powder
½ t. salt
½ cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup butter
¼ cup olive oil
lemon slices


Cut pork loin into 1/2-inch slices.

Pound to 1/4-inch thickness, using meat mallet.
Whisk together eggs, milk, cheese, garlic powder and salt.
Dredge pork in flour and then dip in egg mixture.
Melt butter in large skillet and add olive oil.
Cook pork, in batches, 1 minute on each side, or until browned.
Serve with lemon.
.

1 comment:

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Sounds delicious. We're trying this one, probably tomorrow :)