Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Friday, January 25, 2008

Chicken Pot Pie


Doug is not a picky eater, as husbands go. But, there are only a handful of meals that he actually raves about and this is one of them. When he saw the Pot Pie come out of the oven last night he said, "Oh my favorite." This is one of the few meals that I serve that does not yield leftovers. A few of the kids are lukewarm about it, but they eat it, and the others eat more than their share.

This recipe is Paula Deen's. It's not the same Chicken Pot Pie that she serves at The Lady and Sons, but I can't imagine a better Pot Pie. Like many of Paula's recipes, this one uses a can of cream soup. I personally use Cream of Celery, but the recipe calls for Cream of Chicken. And to save fat grams, I use a 98% fat-free can -- I cannot honestly tell the difference. I know many cooks have issues with using a can of cream soup in their dish, but this does not taste like cream soup to me. This recipe also uses Bisquick, another purest no-no, but if Bisquick tastes this good, I'm fine with it. This is one of the only dishes in which I use Bisquick. This Pot Pie does not have a traditional pastry crust -- it's a biscuit style topping. But, the texture is not a bit dry. It's moist and very tasty.

This recipe has, as a strange sort of ingredient, sliced hard boiled eggs. Two of my kids (the same two who are lukewarm about the recipe) can't stand the thought of eating hard boiled eggs in a casserole, but the rest of us love it. I can't say exactly what the eggs do for the recipe, but this dish would not be the same without them. Think hard before you omit them.

I took some pictures of the prep because the first time I made it I thought for certain I had made a mistake. The topping is supposed to be very runny. Trust me, it cooks up wonderfully. I am posting the recipe the way I make it. Paula's recipe is here.


Chicken Pot Pie

2 cups cooked, diced chicken
2 hard boiled eggs, sliced
1 cup
thinly sliced carrots
½ cup frozen green peas
1 cup chicken broth *
1 can low-fat cream celery soup
salt and pepper
2 cup biscuit mix (Bisquick)
1 1/4 cup milk
½ cup melted butter

In a bowl or large glass measuring cup, place carrots and frozen peas.
Add about 1/2 c. water and cover.
Microwave for 4 minutes.
Drain water.
In a greased 2-quart casserole, layer the chicken, eggs, carrots, and peas (picture below).


In a medium bowl, mix the broth with the soup and
season with salt and pepper.
Pour over layers.
In the same bowl (no need to wash it), stir together the biscuit mix and milk,
and pour over casserole.
Drizzle butter over topping (picture below).


Bake at 350 degrees until topping is golden brown, 40 to 50 minutes.

* I use 1 cup of chicken cooking liquid with 1 t. chicken bouillon added

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks heavenly!

Anonymous said...

HI!
I live in NZ and I don't think we have Bisquick mix here. Do you know how I would make this part fo the recipe?

Thanks!

Wilma

Barbara said...

Kathy -- It is heavenly!

Wilma -- here's a link to homemade Bisquick. If you Google "homemade bisquick" you'll come up with many recipes, but this linked one looks good to me. Simple too.

http://www.recipezaar.com/69051

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that Barbara!

I'll have to give this recipe a go.

I pop in here periodically to check out your recipes. They always look great!

Thanks again, Wilma

mel said...

wow, eggs! Ok, I made chicken pot pie a few weeks ago and looked up a recipe online, and it had hard boiled eggs in it...I left them out and thought that was so weird, I'd never seen hard boiled eggs on a pot pie before! lol... Guess it's not so unusual after all!

Margaret in Minnesota said...

Popping over to tell you that the birthday boy requested this for his special meal! Of course, I'm thinking wistfully back to our visit of a year ago...

Love you! Miss you!