Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Thursday, December 27, 2007

Eggnog Ice Cream

.
Tonight we had family over again for dinner. And, since I was serving Christmas cookies for dessert
again, I thought I'd offer everyone a little dish of ice cream to break up the monotony (not that my Christmas cookies are monotonous). As I was passing the eggnog in the dairy aisle at the grocery today, I made a snap decision to make it Eggnog Ice Cream. I used my basic vanilla ice cream recipe, and substituted a rich eggnog for the whole milk. I cut the sugar back to 1/4 c. and added dash of vanilla and nutmeg and, I have to say, it was really yummy. It tasted just like a premium ice cream. I use this ice cream maker and have recommended it before -- it's a really great kitchen tool.

Eggnog Ice Cream

2 c. whole milk eggnog (you can use lowfat, but the results will not be as rich)
1/4 c. sugar
1/2 t. vanilla
1 c. heavy cream
dash nutmeg

In a bowl, whisk together eggnog and sugar for a minute or until sugar is dissolved.
Add vanilla, heavy cream, and nutmeg, and stir until mixed.
Pour ice cream mix into freezer bowl of ice cream maker and, freeze according to manufacturers instructions. Eat immediately or transfer to a container and cure in the freezer until ice cream reaches desired consistency.

.

No comments: