Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Saturday, December 29, 2007

Bacon Wrapped Water Chestnuts


I went looking on the Net yesterday for this exact recipe to link to and came up with about 600,000 similar recipes, but not one exactly the same. Isn't that funny how so many people make the same dish, but with just the slightest (or sometimes not so slight) variations.

I'm serving these Bacon Wrapped Water Chestnuts for New Year's Eve. This recipe is for one of those dishes that you usually make like your mom made. Well, maybe your mom didn't make these, but you know what I mean. Real foodies will probably be disgusted with the combination of ingredients in this appetizer, but my family loves them. I think it's the bacon. I'm pretty sure you could put bacon on anything and my kids would love it. These are pretty fattening (o.k., very fattening), but this is a treat, not for everyday consumption.

Bacon Wrapped Water Chestnuts

1 can whole water chestnuts
1 lb. bacon cut in half crosswise
½ cup ketchup
¼ cup sugar
¼ cup brown sugar

Cut water chestnuts in half.
Wrap with 1/2 slice of bacon, securing with toothpick.
Lay in 13 x 9 pan or small casserole dish.
Mix ketchup and sugars and pour over the top.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, or until bacon is crisp-chewy.
Don't burn your tongue!

.

1 comment:

Ladybug Mommy Maria said...

My dh just told me about this appetizer that his mom would make for company - I have never heard about it, but now that I see it here today on your blog - on my first visit to your blog, I'll make them tonight for him for New Year's!

Thank you!